What kind of Scooter??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevrumbo:
(Why settle on a Yugo when you can buy a Mercedes instead?)

because i can't afford a Mercedes?

it's at least $3,500 for an X-Scooter, right?

would i rather do without a scooter or drive a SeaDoo for $700 for recreational
applications?

now, if i wanted a scooter for my cave diving, yes ... i'd do without until i could
buy a tech scooter... but for recreational purposes?

A used mako is a little more reasonable... about 1,000

Now if you don't get on boats much dive pretty much every chance you get you can use that excuse :) "Hon I'm using my boat diving budget to get this scooter"

Ben_ca:
A used mako is a little more reasonable... about 1,000

now, that makes sense

Nimrod I suggest you lok at the new seadoo. Just to let you know in general they VS and GTI models are not plastic gears.

I looked atht eh Gavin scooters online and will pass to big for me

I have an X and love it. The X, and most other high performance scooters are direct drive, i.e. no gears a all.

Having said that, plastic gears aren't by themselves a problem.

Properly designed, plastic gears can easily outlast metal gears, make less noise, and create less friction.

The amount of torque transmitted in a scooter is modest. The motor produce a fraction of a Horsepower.

Tobin

"Nimrod I suggest you lok at the new seadoo. Just to let you know in general they VS and GTI models are not plastic gears.
I looked atht eh Gavin scooters online and will pass to big for me."

Well, maybe they have made improvements. It is still a GEARED motor and prop. The motor is still the little bitsy Dust Buster looking POC. They are still hugely anemic.
N

lamont:
gotta remember that you'll be going slower and sucking more current if you're towing.
Yes. Exactly correct.

..no further than my buddy can tow me back...this of course implies that you plan for "rock bottom" on more than gas...

All the best, James

A couple of pictures of my Tekna DPVs. The black one is my favorite but alas I have sold it and soon it will be on it's way to a new master. It has 24V 18AH batteries and nine position adjustable propeller. It is quite a strong runner. New catalyst and LH trigger and heavy duty front and rear bulkheads.

The red one is still pretty much stock and has the original kelp guard, functioning head light and cool instrument cluster. I am just now buttoning it back up after hopefully repairing the charge circuit, it shorted last time I used it. It too has a nine position propeller and 24V 18AH batteries

These Teknas were the forerunner of the current Mako and the shroud and propeller is essentially the same as used today on top dollar scooters as is the powerful GE direct drive motor. These can make upwards of 60 pounds of thrust. These weigh around 50 pounds.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom