Votes: 17 5.4%
  • Professional (Dive Master or Above) - Back Inflate BC

Votes: 31 9.8%
  • Professional (Dive Master or Above) - Back Plate & Wing

Votes: 48 15.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are too many variables to get any kind of meaningful data if that is what you are looking for. I dive all of the above plus a horse collar and no BC at all depending on the dive. Add to that, the BP users tend to be more vocal so you will tend to get heavly skewed data from them..

Last edited:
As an OW Instructor, I typically use a back inflate or a back inflate/ Jacket hybrid style BC when working with students. As an Intro to Cave diver, working towards my Full Cave certification, I use a BP/W in my technical configuration. I have no problems with switching back & forth between configurations.

When I'm helping out with OW classes I use a back inflate Zeagle Scout that I bought on sale for the purpose of destroying with chlorine.

When I'm diving by myself I use an OMS bp/w setup.

I use a jacket BCD to teach, a balanced back inflate for easy lazy diving, a bp/w when i am doing serious diving and want full control.

in the pool, jacket style that matches rental gear students will be using, open water, whether fun diving or teaching back inflate

Jacket style Zealge Ranger LTD when I'm Dive Conning and when I'm diving for pleasure. I want to get a BP/W set-up but it will take some time (mostly because [as a Dive Con] I can only use the gear my shop sells and they only carry two or three companies that make BP's). Bought a jacket style Mares Morphos Pro when I got certified and I hated it.

(did not fill out poll because of the possibility of a change in set-up)

Last edited:
Learned in a jacket, tried a BP, went back to the jacket. Didn't like the BP, plus I'm still waiting for my demise from not diving a long hose and BP. Oh well, you can always count on someone like me to screw it up. :D

Sometimes I use no BC or plate at all and a double hose reg because that is how I learned and like best. Sometimes I use a horsecollar BC with or without a power inflator. Sometimes I use a BP/wing with or without the "Hog looping" and sometime in the future I will use my new BC jacket with integrated weights and Air II. Why not do everything the same way all the time, because I don't need too and because I can use what works best for the particular dive at hand and the training level of divers I am with. YRMV
N

Back
Top Bottom