Votes: 17 5.4%
  • Professional (Dive Master or Above) - Back Inflate BC

Votes: 31 9.8%
  • Professional (Dive Master or Above) - Back Plate & Wing

Votes: 48 15.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I voted.

Open water (advanced soon!), BP/W.

I almost fell for the typical LDS schpiel after I got my cert through them.
Then I went to a more tech-oriented place, tried on a BP/W hogarthian-ish setup, and fell in love.
Soooo comfy. Oh, and all that other safety crap too. :p

I voted.

Open water (advanced soon!), BP/W.

I almost fell for the typical LDS schpiel after I got my cert through them.
Then I went to a more tech-oriented place, tried on a BP/W hogarthian-ish setup, and fell in love.
Soooo comfy. Oh, and all that other safety crap too. :p

Eventually, you'll figure out that as long as the tank doesn't fall off, it really doesn't matter what you pick.

That you got a BP/W in a "tech" place is no more surprising than saying you went to a barbershop and they recommended a haircut, as is having a recreational shop recommend a jacket.

Terry

I normally dive with a BP & wing. The only time I use a conventional BC is when I do entry level training for my Club, when I wear club gear identical to my students.

Interesting how many people that responded are "Professional" wonder if this represents the scubaboard population? I doubt it represents the population of divers.

If you read the poll you could infer that most divers are professional BP/W wearing divers??

I'm a Divemaster. I have 2 jacket BC's, a back inflate BC, and a bp/w. It depends on what suit I'm wearing and where we are diving.

Interesting how many people that responded are "Professional" wonder if this represents the scubaboard population? I doubt it represents the population of divers.

The combined results of this poll and an earlier poll asking only for the highest cert level achieved are fairly consistent, so one MIGHT leap to the conclusion that these small samplings reflect the certification levels of active SB members: OW - 19%; AOW - 25%; Rescue - 20%; Divemaster and above - 36%.

In contrast, a 2003 survey of more than 12,000 divers for an article on "panic" among divers yielded the following demographics: OW - 29%; AOW - 28%; Rescue + Master Diver - 18%; Divemaster and above - 25%. [A Study of Panic in Recreational Scuba Divers by David F. Colvard, MD and Lynn Y. Colvard, PhD (The Undersea Journal, First Quarter 2003); www.divepsych.com/UJ1Q03p040_044_qxd.pdf]

Tremendous risk of sampling bias in a poll like this on ScubaBoard, given the active participants.

Overall 58% jackets and back inflates vs. 42% BP&W. It is about 50:50 for RDs and Pros. I would imagine this grossly overestimates the % of BP&W based on any kind of sales figures available.

Whatever, good diving, Craig

Divemaster. Doing the confined water dives where I have to model, I prefer my back inflate BCD. When were doing checkouts, I prefer the rig I'm really comfortable with and that is BP/W.

Tremendous risk of sampling bias in a poll like this on ScubaBoard, given the active participants.

Overall 58% jackets and back inflates vs. 42% BP&W. It is about 50:50 for RDs and Pros. I would imagine this grossly overestimates the % of BP&W based on any kind of sales figures available.

Whatever, good diving, Craig

Someone posted actual sales percentages recently, and the BP/W was so far down the list that it wasn't even worth it for most shops to stock it (which accounts for the lack of availability).

The survey participant distribution must be hugely skewed to come up with the results in this poll, since the actual percentage of professionals vs. total certifications and BP/W sales vs the survey results are off by a huge margin.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom