What made you get into SCUBA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Chicks" :egrin: dig guys in uniforms, and so I just had to get one of them there wetsuit uniforms, hehe.

Actually, like most people have said above, the u/w stories on the tube I think set the stage but it was the constant prodding of the girlfriend :1st: who was already certified to join her in the deep blue. She is my buddy for life, during surface intervals as well as in the deep blue :bonk: been certified for 9 months now and just can't get enough.

And that's the way it is ......

My husband "gave" me scuba lessons as a birthday gift a few years ago. It had been a rough year -- my father died suddenly, I was in a fog, work was depressing, life was sort of ugly.

So, we took lessons and even though I have claustrophobia (yes, every time I descend, I have a little anxiety), I stuck with it. I didn't pass my written test the first time, so I could only do the first day's worth of diving in Monterey, CA (water close to 60 and air around 75). So, I passed the test the next week and then had to finish my last dives at Lake Tahoe -- which combined altitude into the mix, not to mention the fact that it was snowing and the water was a brisk 53 degrees.

We left two weeks later for the "real" surprise -- he took me to St. Lucia and we hit the 80-degree water with rapture. Been diving ever since and loved it. It restores my sanity (although some would argue that point).

I even "challenged" my UW claustrophibia and did the Cathedral I dive @ Lanai ... I did a few swim throughs and survived -- okay, so I sucked a little air a little quicker, but I still managed it and came back with close to 1500 PSI (you know how those guided tour dives are).

I'm now doing underwater photography and just got an UW video to start learning something new.

And, as an aside, my dad was an old Navy man and his ashes were scattered at sea. So every time I dive, I say hi to him as well :)

George an old pal from asia was always asking me to go diving with him. I was always busy with work and put it off. On day he called and said he had cancer and I better hurry up or loose my chance. I stopped all the work, got certified. We got one shallow dive in together. He passed away the week we were scedualed to leave for diving at Loo Key. But I have been diving pasionatly ever since and thank him for getting me started.
Mike

My lovely wife is to blame for taking up scuba. I had always wanted to try it, but just never did. I've always enjoyed being on the water, whether it be water skiing, fishing, snorkeling or whatever. While on our honeymoon, the resort we were staying at offered the Discover Scuba course. So thinking it would be something we could do together, I signed up. My wife had been certified several years earlier but hadn't been active. From the first breath I drew at depth on the reef, I knew I had found my calling. The rest is history.

I too am fond of water, but scuba never enter my mind until last March. My husband and I took our first cruise to the Caribbean. There were lots of snorkling excursions. We went to Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman, and had string rays swimming all around us while we snorkeled. In Aruba, we snorkeled all around a sunken ship. Scuba was still not a factor yet in our minds. Our last stop was in Curacao. It was there that we got introduced to scuba. The Animal Encounter allows none divers to actually dive. After a short briefing, you suit up and go diving in a natural tidal pool that is about fifteen feet deep. They gave us a small bucket of fish, and we were able to feed the fish and sting rays that were in the tank. I was hooked immediately. Fell head over heels in love with the feeling of being in a New World. Everywhere I looked, there was something new and more interesting, and I could not stop. They actually had to ask me three times to get out of the tank.

Once we were home, we found the nearest dive school and signed up. Not only am I certified in open water, I went one step further and got my advanced open water certification. We have currently taken twelve dives, and are planning our next dive. We just can’t get enough.

For anyone thinking about doing it, I urge you to try. It has been one of the best experiences I have had.

As far back as I can remember, I've always thought diving was for me. As a kid, I loved watching Jacque Cousteau and even Flipper. I have always been amazed with the underwater world that exist. I consider diving a passion. I never found the opportunity til I met my ex. He was a certified diver but had not been active for many years since his old roommate (buddy) got married and didn't dive anymore. He had 2 sets of gear... his and his buddies. I expressed my interest and the next thing I knew we were in the springs in Florida. He took me to see if I thought I wanted to do it before signing up for classes. I immediately knew I had to sign up. To begin with it was sooooo dumb going down without classes and knowing what I was doing. I had never even snorkled before. We didn't go deep but I still had a scare. At 1st it was the normal unnatural feeling of breathing underwater but then my confidence level peeked and I was in love! I was swimming around loving life then my mask leaked. (probably from the smiles) I started choking and shot straight up and scared to death. After that weekend I got in class and he went on to become an instructor. I could have done that too but I choose to continue to enjoy my dives and not have the responsibility of other divers. I've been diving 6 years now and have to say it's the best thing I've ever done for myself!
Ldreamin

I saw "Jaws" when I was about nine and thought, "Hell, I could take that fish."

Actually, I've been in, on, or by water most of my life. When I wasn't, I kept many aquariums (much to the chagrin of parents, roommates, wife..), read, watched and listened to everything I could about oceanography. Diving is the rewarding result of my lure to the sea.

No, I haven't had my big date with Jaws while "in" the water, but I still hear the music.

or so someone once described me... Have loved the water ever since my dad first threw me in a swimming pool when I was a baby. Snorkelled since I was old enough to know how and just never could afford to learn scuba until a few months ago. Now I'm like fooks - can't think about anything else!

I am making up for lost time and all the things I've missed down there.

:)

hmm, Well, I think what got me into "scuba" was the fact I was tired of waiting around for evolution to give me a pair of gills ... hehe

Actually, it was a very early love for me. I have alot of military history in my family such as my step-father was a NAVY SEAL, that and the fact I am a Native San Diegan and naturally went from surfing to scuba as I lived so close to the beach. Then going into the military myself as a diver helped a little, hehe. The rest, as they say, is history...

=-)

Back
Top Bottom