What makes a GOOD dive OP to you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are a lot of things I agree with here already and some that don't have so much to do with a "good" dive op as one that fits my particular needs and desires. YMMV

I do want honesty. I want to know, before I book, all of the details like group diving, allowing a diver to set own pace/time/depth etc or if it's a dive plan, policy on coming back up when one diver is low on air etc. Only if I have that information before I go diving can I determine if the operator suits me...if I don't ask and then find things aren't to my liking I can hardly hold that against the operator, no matter how much I might want to do so!

A clean boat

ample storage room so your not tripping over gear

room to sit

no cattle boats

DM's that will work w/individuals & be friendly

I prefer to have my gear set up for me....shoot, I'm on vacation & I paid lots of bucks for this diving (will set my own gear up if necessary, but prefer not too)

DM's that don't mind accomidateing my bad back by taking my BCD & throwing it into the water so I can gear up.

Water, kleenex & a small snack are always nice.

TOWELS!!

camera rinse, hand camera to me in water & will take it from me as I climb aboard

diving own profiles is nice too

keeps your gear overnight & makes sure it's rinsed of salt water.

I give very nice tips for all the above! :wink:

I agree with what you say but was wondering what your basis is for tipping and how much?

I am more than happy to give a good tip (whatever that means:) to someone whose been helpful.

Sy

ScubaCatgirl:
A clean boat

ample storage room so your not tripping over gear

room to sit

no cattle boats

DM's that will work w/individuals & be friendly

I prefer to have my gear set up for me....shoot, I'm on vacation & I paid lots of bucks for this diving (will set my own gear up if necessary, but prefer not too)

DM's that don't mind accomidateing my bad back by taking my BCD & throwing it into the water so I can gear up.

Water, kleenex & a small snack are always nice.

TOWELS!!

camera rinse, hand camera to me in water & will take it from me as I climb aboard

diving own profiles is nice too

keeps your gear overnight & makes sure it's rinsed of salt water.

I give very nice tips for all the above! :wink:

sytech:
I agree with what you say but was wondering what your basis is for tipping and how much?

I am more than happy to give a good tip (whatever that means:) to someone whose been helpful.

Sy

I guess I would base my tipping on what I have experienced in the past. If a lot of my requests above were met....$20 - $25 per DM. If I had to set up my own equipment, do a lot of work on my own, the DM's were not helpful or pleasant or there were disadvantages & unpleasantries I experienced on the boat, maybe $5 or nothing

alcina:
There are a lot of things I agree with here already and some that don't have so much to do with a "good" dive op as one that fits my particular needs and desires. YMMV

I do want honesty. I want to know, before I book, all of the details like group diving, allowing a diver to set own pace/time/depth etc or if it's a dive plan, policy on coming back up when one diver is low on air etc. Only if I have that information before I go diving can I determine if the operator suits me...if I don't ask and then find things aren't to my liking I can hardly hold that against the operator, no matter how much I might want to do so!

Very good point. Nonetheless, I still find that some ops will lie. They say they aren't a cattle boat. They say they allow 60 minutes of bottom time or longer. They say they are safe. They say they allow you to dive your own profile. Very annoying once the day is done though. I could list several ops that say. Of course some ops vary depending on the DM or Capatain on a specific day and region.

I can answer this question by saying what dive op I think is perfect. :wink:

For me the most important part is a crew that works their butt off to make sure I have a fun and safe dives, as well as a fun time. Less of a boat operator than a coupla friends I visit for a fun dive day or 2.

My favorite op is run by owners/crew who are divers, love diving and designed their dream boat. 10 divers max, with lots of room for gear AND walking around.

I feel better setting up my gear myself, but they do change the tanks for me. They carry my gear to the back of the boat and "dress me". They do the work. I do have to make the giant stride all by myself, though. Maybe an elevator would be better?

The captain knows all the sites front and back. Choses the best site based on current, waves, visibility, etc...They do the work. Briefs are great and detailed, including "When I dive this site, I like to..." and navigation tips for the site.

The divemaster is a real sweetheart, who knows the best local restaurants and bars, and is fun to be around. She hooks me up with buddies at my level, and we go for great dives. When I go in the water, She's always watching us and our bubbles. It makes me feel safe in strange waters.

That's how I like it

DAN or comparable O2 kit, radio, and safety minded crew are pretty high on my list.

Ops that remember that when I'm travelling, diving for me is really fun, and still an all too rare activity. I know that working a dive boat can be a long and hard job, but if the crew can maintain enthusiasm (or fake it well) for diving, it really seems to make a trip stand out.

come on you cant be serious, stop being so lazy. kit up yourself. if you dont you may not pick up a problem and that is the height of lazyness. I do how ever agree with the point, the staff should change out the tank for the second dive. I also like most of the other points and O2 kit is a must.

Back
Top Bottom