What makes a great diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People who aspire to be "great divers," for the most part, should come to terms with the humiliation of not making the high school football team and move on with their lives. Diving is a non-competitive pastime. Get yourself competent enough to safely do the diving that you enjoy and then go ahead and enjoy it.

The only thing people should aspire to is a clear understanding of their own limitations.

There is no "perfect" diver. Divers who know well enough to dive within their own limits have the optimum skill that they need.

a student that never stops learning while at the same time and instructor that never stops teaching and a friend that never stops helping and solid as a rock in the water. we should all strive for that on every dive

A good diver is someone with the skills to get themselves out of just about any bad situation.

A great diver is someone who also has the judgment to not get themselves into that situation in the first place ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

We need a thread "What makes a lousy diver" then the answer to this thread would be someone with none of the attributes in the other thread.

It's an interesting question, what is a great diver, and who should we look up to. For example, I'm amazed at the WKPP's unbelievable record-setting cave dives (and even more impressed by their safety record doing them) but I don't want to emulate JJ and Casey, because I have no desire to do that kind of diving. There are, however, some qualities of those divers that allow them to do the things they do, and would allow me to do the things I do more safely and with more enjoyment:

1. Knowledge. I think somebody who is great at ANYTHING has studied it beyond the minimums. An understanding of physiology, what's known about decompression, how the gear we use works, what the things are we are seeing . . . That curiosity and desire to understand is the mark of someone who is great, to me.

2. Skill. I don't think you can term anyone "great" unless their skills are superb. My cave instructors are amazing in the water -- they're like moving holes in the water column. They don't move unless they want to, and always to a purpose. They have incredible buoyancy control and balance. They also have eagle-eyed awareness of everything that is going on around them, no matter how distracted they are. I aspire to those things.

3. Judgment. As Bob says, a great diver knows when to pass on a dive, and when to call one, and how to match his diving abilities to the conditions of the dive. He also knows how to prepare for any given dive and what planning is needed. Prudence is another facet of this quality.

4. Diligence. I think a great diver does what it takes. If something is noted to be suboptimal -- a fraying tie, or a reg that isn't breathing just right -- he takes the time to get it fixed, rather than ignore it or put it off. He keeps his stuff organized and stores it properly. He's meticulous about caring for gear. He takes the time to maintain his own body, too, and tries to make sure it's in the best condition to do the diving he wants to do. (This is probably my weakest area.)

5. Joy. To me, if someone meets all the other criteria but has lost the joy of doing this, they aren't a role model and they aren't great. A great diver can do his most challenging dives with skill and safety, but is also perfectly happy to jump into shallow water and play with friends.

6. Humility. I think a hallmark of truly great people in any discipline is that they remember that they were once beginners, and that they still put their pants on one leg at a time. Arrogance is a marker of insecurity. Generosity, and a willingness to reach out to others, is a mark of greatness.

I think that's my list. I'm no great diver, that's for sure!

I have to go with the person who identified "Mental Attitude" as the primary characteristic of a "good diver." With the proper attitude, the rest of the stuff generally follows:

Proper Mental Attitude:

a. Is aware of, and dives within, her limits;
b. Is aware of, and dives with, her strengths;

As a result of this, she:

a. Does all she can to stay well within the "zone of safety" for that particular dive;
b. Stays current with knowledge and works on her skills;
c. Has fun when she dives.

That, to me, is a good diver.

1. Knowledge. I think somebody who is great at ANYTHING has studied it beyond the minimums. An understanding of physiology, what's known about decompression, how the gear we use works, what the things are we are seeing . . . That curiosity and desire to understand is the mark of someone who is great, to me.

2. Skill. I don't think you can term anyone "great" unless their skills are superb. My cave instructors are amazing in the water -- they're like moving holes in the water column. They don't move unless they want to, and always to a purpose. They have incredible buoyancy control and balance. They also have eagle-eyed awareness of everything that is going on around them, no matter how distracted they are. I aspire to those things.

3. Judgment. As Bob says, a great diver knows when to pass on a dive, and when to call one, and how to match his diving abilities to the conditions of the dive. He also knows how to prepare for any given dive and what planning is needed. Prudence is another facet of this quality.

4. Diligence. I think a great diver does what it takes. If something is noted to be suboptimal -- a fraying tie, or a reg that isn't breathing just right -- he takes the time to get it fixed, rather than ignore it or put it off. He keeps his stuff organized and stores it properly. He's meticulous about caring for gear. He takes the time to maintain his own body, too, and tries to make sure it's in the best condition to do the diving he wants to do. (This is probably my weakest area.)

5. Joy. To me, if someone meets all the other criteria but has lost the joy of doing this, they aren't a role model and they aren't great. A great diver can do his most challenging dives with skill and safety, but is also perfectly happy to jump into shallow water and play with friends.

6. Humility. I think a hallmark of truly great people in any discipline is that they remember that they were once beginners, and that they still put their pants on one leg at a time. Arrogance is a marker of insecurity. Generosity, and a willingness to reach out to others, is a mark of greatness.
I like this list. But let me add:

7. Generous. He/she is the first one to offer to pay for gasoline, food, their share of expenses. They will let you handle your own gear, but are the first to pitch in and help if you need it. They will offer to change their dive plan to match yours. With whatever they have, they are willing to share.

8. Dependable. If they say they are going to be there at a certain time, they are early. If they say they are going to be prepared, they are. Their word is as good as gold before, during and after the dive.

I think TSandM pretty much nailed it. The best divers I've ever met were not the ones with the fanciest gear, they weren't the ones with the most training, and often they weren't the ones with the most experience.

To me, the mark of a good diver is the ability to adapt to a changing situation easily. Current picks up, they notice and change their actions. Vis goes bad, they move in closer. A good diver will recognize a changing situation and adapt rather than get frazzled over it.

I'm glad TSandM mention humility. Arrogance has no place here. And wow, did I run across it a few weeks ago. It's a separate discussion, but 10 minutes after I met this guy I could only think "I NEVER want to get in the water with him." Not because he wasn't experienced. He'd "been doing this for forty years." He reminded me of that fact about 4 times in a half an hour....

-Charles

I like this list. But let me add:

7. Generous. He/she is the first one to offer to pay for gasoline, food, their share of expenses. They will let you handle your own gear, but are the first to pitch in and help if you need it. They will offer to change their dive plan to match yours. With whatever they have, they are willing to share.

8. Dependable. If they say they are going to be there at a certain time, they are early. If they say they are going to be prepared, they are. Their word is as good as gold before, during and after the dive.

Whilst we are at it:

9. Good looking.

10. Owns a boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom