What makes a regulator "honk"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShagMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just like it says, what makes a regulator "honk" when you breath on it, like a duck/goose caller?

I have a reg that does it, and my buddy has one that does it too. Doesn't seem to affect breathing effort, just sounds funny!

Honking is probably a valve fluttering between open and closed. May be harmless, maybe not. I have a Scubapro Mk7 which is designed to honk. What kind of regs are you dealing with?

It's a ScubaMax reg... functionally similar to Dive Rite, Salvo, few others... however my Dive Rites don't honk, go figure!

The one thing that's different on the ScubaMax versus the Dive Rites that I can see, is that the Dive Rites have the venturi assist coming from a cross-tube, while the ScubaMaxes have a less-direct path around the edge of the housing.

Important to note that some regs always honk out of water. Without the seawater pressing on the second stage diaphragm it shudders.

That is only a second stage thing though.

I once had a SP Mk10 that began hnking. It breathed fine and I was in Belizefor 2 months so it took a while to get it to a shop. When they opened it up, there were two very strange and unexplainable slits in the metal just under two of the ports. Very strange. Hope that is not the case with yours.

My Scubapro 380 honks when it's dry, once it gets wet its quiet.

My R190's honk like migrating geese too --never noticed if my MK10 honks, but it's developed an air leak which I suspect in an o-ring. Hope it's not all cut up inside like yours, Dr Bill!

Here's a shot of what I was talking about on my Mk10. I probably should have asked ScubaPro to replace the first stage core. I know the MK20's had a problem with cracks, but I don't know if they were this bad!

ScubaPro%20Mk10%20regulator%20cracked%204041s.jpg

There's 2nd stage "honking" which is just the diaphragm resonating out of water, and this will stop as soon as you're in the water. There's also occasional honking in piston 1st stages due to some strange resonance aggravated by poor lubrication at the HP piston, which will happen in the water but is harmless. You have a diaphragm 1st stage, os I assume you're talking about the 2nd stage honk. If it does not do it in the water, forget about it and enjoy life.

Then there are the true characters like awap who choose to dive with regulators/goose calls. Their regs honk by design. Too bad you can't buy specific 'reserve' tunes for the MK7, just like ringtones. You could set your MK7 up to sing something classic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom