What makes a regulator "honk"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's 2nd stage "honking" which is just the diaphragm resonating out of water, and this will stop as soon as you're in the water. There's also occasional honking in piston 1st stages due to some strange resonance aggravated by poor lubrication at the HP piston, which will happen in the water but is harmless. You have a diaphragm 1st stage, os I assume you're talking about the 2nd stage honk. If it does not do it in the water, forget about it and enjoy life.

Then there are the true characters like awap who choose to dive with regulators/goose calls. Their regs honk by design. Too bad you can't buy specific 'reserve' tunes for the MK7, just like ringtones. You could set your MK7 up to sing something classic.

Air integrated computers will probably be having that feature soon. You will be able to down load ring tones alarms for your computer. :rolleyes:

Dive computer ring tones:
All I need is the air that I breathe……The Hollies
Love is like Oxygen……………………Sweet
Going down for the last time………….Remainders
Under Pressure…………………………Queen

I'm sure there are plenty more.

Then there are the true characters like awap who choose to dive with regulators/goose calls. Their regs honk by design. Too bad you can't buy specific 'reserve' tunes for the MK7, just like ringtones. You could set your MK7 up to sing something classic.

That's what we need. A phone ringtone that sounds like a LOA Mk7.:D

There's 2nd stage "honking" which is just the diaphragm resonating out of water, and this will stop as soon as you're in the water. There's also occasional honking in piston 1st stages due to some strange resonance aggravated by poor lubrication at the HP piston, which will happen in the water but is harmless.

Yes, I agree, the 2nd stage diaghram is just "fluttering" or as you say resonating, as soon as its immersed the water acts as a buffer and it stops immediately.

The quirk you mention on piston first stages was very common on old Oceanics, Beuchats, some older Scuba Pros, actually any reg which used those big white disc type HP seats, and where the piston ran in a concealed O ring in the first stage body. The noise was most times due to air turbulance as it flowed over and around the seat, it was very difficult to correct in production as some regs were perfectly fine, no noise, and others just scared kids from a distance.!!

There were various solutions as well, I remember Oceanic made a replacement HP seat with a differant material, most times this did the trick, Beuchat did the same but with a little less success and eventually redesiged the seat face - I dont think either of them have ever sorted it out completely.!

The most common answer I've gotten seems to be that it's the diaphram and arm oscilating due to design or due to a slightly weak spring.

It's definitely the 2nd stage and not the 1st stage that's doing it... I had a Dive Rite 2nd on the same 1st, no honking while I was on that one.

It's not constant, only when I breath on it a little harder than normal, so it's not really annoying me, was just curious.

Thanks guys!

The most common answer I've gotten seems to be that it's the diaphram and arm oscilating due to design or due to a slightly weak spring.

It's definitely the 2nd stage and not the 1st stage that's doing it... I had a Dive Rite 2nd on the same 1st, no honking while I was on that one.

It's not constant, only when I breath on it a little harder than normal, so it's not really annoying me, was just curious.

Thanks guys!

Is it making noise UW or only above water?

No, this is underwater, during the dive!

I don't care what the effort is and what it sounds like out of the water, without water pressing on the diaphram, I know it's not the same.

I don't care what the effort is and what it sounds like out of the water, without water pressing on the diaphram, I know it's not the same.

That should not be happening. I'd really be surprised if that can not be fixed just with adjustments.

I think the 2nd stage diaphragm is a little stretched out...I have 1 reg in my class line the has honked on the surface for quite a while...OK in the water...checked out everything else

No, theres an issue.

Diaghram flutter out of the water and flutter in the water, are not the same thing.

Flutter in water, can be caused by a weak poppet spring (minimal tension on the lever) or by an incorrect lever arm height (too low), both will allow the diaghram to flutter briefly on inhalation, usually inconsistantly as well.

Its not life threatening, just irritating and reduces reg performance, both are a simple replacement or adjustment to return the lever tension and height to manufacturers specs - I am fairly sure that will cure your problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom