What makes a successful dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good LDS. The one I use these days:
Knows my name.
Has O2,He and a gas booster.
Lets me fill my own tanks (Or I can drop them off and pick them up later)
Never complains that much of my gear came from Ebay or Discussion Boards.
Has been known to offer a discount when I do buy gear there.

Bad LDS. I used to use this place as they are the closest to Lake Travis:
Always had to ask my name to subtract the fills from my card,even though I had been in there 10 weekends in a row.
Filled Al80 doubles in less than 10 seconds (not exaggerating here), unless they had forgotten to turn on the compressor in which case I either went to another shop or went home.
Complained that the Vis sticker on the tank was not one of theirs.
Told me that tech divers use gear "like that", pointing to some enormous bungeed OMS wing and steel doubles with boots on.

I'm with you on the pricing thing but when your LDS goes belly up because of no business where you going to get those tanks filled?

Local dive club that is formed when local divers realize that they need fills and can set up a compressor and banks for membership fees.

I'm with you on the pricing thing but when your LDS goes belly up because of no business where you going to get those tanks filled?

Then I will go to my hanger, XXXXXX Aircraft, Tool, Kubota, Chainsaw, Scuba and Outboard and Lawnmower LLC and finally get around to bolting the various bits and pieces into a compressor and purchasing the remaining parts I need.

You guys kill me, in the beginning there were no lds on every corner with a compressor trying to steal 20 bucks from me for a fake VIZ and eight dollars for a short fill and yet we got air fills.

N

Local dive club that is formed when local divers realize that they need fills and can set up a compressor and banks for membership fees.

Works in this country very nicely. Along with dive shops that dont really sell much kit but have a compressor and small cost items people actually want.

The "all the fill stations will vanish" argument is complete nonsense. They wont. If there's a market they'll survive. If not people will create their own.

Really? Where are you going to get your air when the local dive shop goes out of business? What do you think firefighters breath when they're doing their thing?

Go to your local firestation and ask for some air fills. Hell, you can probably get them for free if you BS with them a little and are friendly...if they're at the station it's not like they're horribly busy at the moment. If anything, they're probably doing station duties and would love to have something to get them out of said duties for a few minutes.

I cant say what makes a LDS successful, good money management would be a start. But a LDS that gets me walking in through the door would be one that understands there are all sorts of people in this world, judge no one and treat all as equals.

Why do I say this?

Just be fair, the web is here to stay and the online shops are your competitors, stop your whinging and be competitive.

For example, recently I wanted to purchase an item. This item was priced at $400 from a store within Australia a LDS but not in my area. I went to my LDS and got his price a whopping $800 for exactly the same product. Please note the $400 one was not on special either it was just their price. I asked my LDS to price match as I would have preferred to give them the money, he did and even though it was not an exact match but just a few dollars more I was happy to pay the price.

This was a nice gesture by my LDS but why do I have to even do this in the 1st place. C'mon guys double the price is ridiculous open your eyes and smell the roses competition is around, the web is competiton and people like me will shop.

I have since found a old friend who has become victim to the web competitors after 20 years running a shop, he admits he cannot match these prices of overseas and helps me find good deals. The only thing is no warranty from the manufactorer's which is poor if you ask me but hey I will take the chance after all it was my choice!!!!

I feel my LDS will stay afloat as I regualrly see people in their with their credit card, I agree nothing beats being in a shop with all your favorite toys around you and great people to talk too. But for now it will be still to look around and look for fair deal.

Just my 2 cents worth. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom