What makes someone an "Advanced Scuba Diver"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm just a basic diver with a keen interest and an "Advanced" certificate, but I thought I'd just offer these thoughts:

Although I'm guessing your certificate is "Advanced OPEN WATER" (which I also have, and which essentially means "advanced beginner"). I think the thread is talking more about the concept of an advanced diver, and it's just unfortunate/distracting that PADI and others use the same adjective to modify their #2 beginner card.

The correct name is "Raising the Dead". Sorry for the mistake.
As far as I know that book does exist in another disguise(Diving into darkness).

I had a feeling I should have checked before blindly admitting an error. The exact same thing happened the other time it turned out I was wrong about something.
04.gif

Although I'm guessing your certificate is "Advanced OPEN WATER" (which I also have, and which essentially means "advanced beginner"). I think the thread is talking more about the concept of an advanced diver, and it's just unfortunate/distracting that PADI and others use the same adjective to modify their #2 beginner card.
Right you are. I meant to say that training and certification are often brought up to qualify someone's level of skill, as it's also far easier to quantify than "experience." You can count your dives, but how do you quantify the conditions in which you dive, the activities you performed and tasks you had to complete on those dives. Beyond basic skills, everyone meanders off to pursue their individual goals and interests. So is an "advanced diver" someone who has attained a certain level of experience and proficiency in their chosen specialty? If so, "advanced" is still a vague blanket term that ultimately tells us nothing about the diver.

An advanced diver is someone that can learn and adapt to diving outside of their current comfort level quickly due to their training and experience. They do so by being able to identify points of concern before the experience discussing it with their dive buddy. Regardless of dive they have the self confidence to speak up about their concerns and do so with respect and politeness. They acknowledge a thumb up with a thumb up and an ok. They are a NW Pacific diver.... If they feel the dive has left their comfort level they know they can move it back or call the dive. Know enough about themselves to not go too far beyond their comfort, "So you want me to push my negatively bouyant tanks through a hole in the wall gripped only by my clenched teeth on a regulator and then squeeze through that hole behind it??!?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom