What regulator brands can I get my own parts for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was just going to re-mention Zeagle. When I was looking at various regs, I liked the fact that you could easily get parts for the Zeagles, and that the regs are made in the US (Zephyrhills, FL). I don't know if I'll ever service my own, but I like the principle of it, at least.

Not to say that Zeagles are necessarily better than the others mentioned; I'm nowhere near experienced enough to be able to compare. I was buying used and chose the Zeagle over the other regs that were available to me at that price/time.

Last edited:
ZKY,you should go to frogkick.dk and look at the rebuild manuals and schematics of all the regulators you are considering, including Scubapro. I'm partial to the Apeks, Zeagle, HOG, Beuchat, Beuchat/DiveRite, barrel poppet second stages.
Five different brands utilizing essentially the same barrel poppet makes me think they're on to something.

When I was looking at various regs, I liked the fact that you could easily get parts for the Zeagles. I don't know if I'll ever service my own, but I like the principle of it, at least.
QUOTE]

Even if you don't service your own regulators, at least you can purchase a rebuild kit so you'll always have "the parts" on hand and with internet access to the manual, any competent person can service your regulator anywhere in the world.

Even if you don't service your own regulators, at least you can purchase a rebuild kit so you'll always have "the parts" on hand and with internet access to the manual, any competent person can service your regulator anywhere in the world.

That's one of the plusses I was thinking of. I've found the same thing for car or boat parts. If you're off in the sticks, even if you can't repair something yourself you can often find someone who can -- as long as you have the parts.

I can go down to my corner hardware store and get O-rings. They have tray after tray of every size and thickness available. I wonder though about rubber quality, compound differences and density. Are there special ones for use in regulators?
I don't run high mixtures of O2 I just use air so that's a non issue if some of you were thinking viton.

...while I don't exactly service my own regs, I do frequently replace common scuba O-rings on tank valves or where hoses attach to 1st and 2nd stages, and recently started buying from ORingsUSA and saved a fortune over what I used to pay over @ DiveRiteExpress. I like DiveRiteExpress, no compliants, but their O-rings are severely overpriced, can get 'em over @ ORingsUSA for 1/4 to 1/5 the the price. DiveRiteExpress says (which I have no reason to doubt) that there are a lot of counterfeit (substandard) O-rings sloshing around out there (cheap Asian/Chinese crap) and claim the DiveRiteExpress ones are guaranteed to be 'real' (as in really made of Viton, versus fake Viton 'rubber' ones) ....but per the ORingsUSA site they appear to be selling certified/legit O-rings......I just refuse to keep paying $0.50-$0.60 per a single O-ring @ DiveRireExpress.

DIY regulator servicing is not rocket science. Anyone who can follow the directions in the appropriate manual can do it. Building a model car or airplane is more complicated than servicing a reg. Of course, most manufacturers and your LDS will generally do not want you to know this and will throw terms like "life support equipment" at you to keep you under their thumb.

We are the in process of converting our entire stable of regulators over to HOG, for just this reason.

I think, from what I have read, the issue with o-rings is durometer readings. You have to know for which applications you need hard ones, and for which, soft ones. It's not just the size.

Most lds in my area will do a mandatory rebuild when u request service. Sounds good until u realize they charge $35 -$40 per stage + parts if your paperwork is not in order. Might work when all you have is a 1st stage and two 2nds but when you're like me and have 6 1st stages and 8 2nds, brands like HOG are the way to go. U can get parts for apeks and hog pretty easily and they are not difficlult to service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom