What Size Doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigeclipse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have read thread upon thread about doubles. I am very interested in getting a pair of doubles to start extending my dive times (within NDL on nitrox). Even with my HP100 single I never approach NDL when on nitrox. I know most might say "purchase a 120 or 130 steel" but my end goal is possibly tech diving and I also do dive in the 100ft mark and having some redundancy is appealing to me for those deeper dives. I know people might say Tech diving is expensive and is a long ways out for me which I agree but why waste money on the way there if whatever doubles I purchase now might work then? My question is I see that a pair of LP72s or HP85s are pretty ideal for extending bottom times on recreational dives (within NDL of course) while also not being overly cumbersome or heavy BUT it seems from what I have read that they are not ideal for TECH/Deco diving (appears double 100s are more the norm). What are your thoughts on this? Thanks.

Sounds like you have it figured out already. Double 100's are the norm, trim best for most folks, and are relatively easy to come by, and you already have 1/2 a set.

I have read thread upon thread about doubles. I am very interested in getting a pair of doubles to start extending my dive times (within NDL on nitrox). Even with my HP100 single I never approach NDL when on nitrox. I know most might say "purchase a 120 or 130 steel" but my end goal is possibly tech diving and I also do dive in the 100ft mark and having some redundancy is appealing to me for those deeper dives. I know people might say Tech diving is expensive and is a long ways out for me which I agree but why waste money on the way there if whatever doubles I purchase now might work then? My question is I see that a pair of LP72s or HP85s are pretty ideal for extending bottom times on recreational dives (within NDL of course) while also not being overly cumbersome or heavy BUT it seems from what I have read that they are not ideal for TECH/Deco diving (appears double 100s are more the norm). What are your thoughts on this? Thanks.
Dive more, work on your technique, and you won't need doubles for rec diving.

Agreed, HP100 are the best all around tanks out there. You are almost there. Good manifolds at dive gear express.

Dive more, work on your technique, and you won't need doubles for rec diving.
understood and I do work on my skills every time I dive. As stated, yes I want more gas but I also have other reasons for wanting doubles such as more redundancy on deeper dives and even though its likely a few more years out I am definitely considering tech diving. I am PADI deep and nitrox certified at the moment with somewhere around the 75 dives mark under my belt. I have already switched over to BP/W with long hose set-up 2 years ago just to grow with them (they now feel natural to me) and started drysuit diving last summer. I do not want to rush diving and I know im likely a few years and a couple hundred dives out from Tech diving but like I said, if im going to buy a set of doubles anyways, they might as well be ones I can use during my tech courses.

.... if im going to buy a set of doubles anyways, they might as well be ones I can use during my tech courses.
If that's really where you're going, you might as well skip the doubles and go get your Mod 1 rebreather course done and buy a rebreather. Honestly and truly, you'll be way happier in the end.

If that's really where you're going, you might as well skip the doubles and go get your Mod 1 rebreather course done and buy a rebreather. Honestly and truly, you'll be way happier in the end.
Highly disagree. One needs to be competent and comfortable with OC tech before RB. When the RB breaks, you're now an OC tech diver.

Bums and opinions. Ain't America grand?

Plus 1, completely agree.

haha, we go from doubles to rebreathers. Honestly, rebreather might be someday but doubtful as it is getting to the point of too expensive. I can see buying some doubles and a couple stages and doing a few slightly deeper deco dives but I don't see myself going into rebreathers but who knows.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom