What skills did your instructor model?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't understand what the student's ability has to do with an instructor's position in the column. I can't think of a situation that could arise which could not be dealt with as well or better while neutral and in the column. What sort of situations do you see which would be better handled with the instructor on their knees.

I really have no interest in getting into a pissing match with you on this topic Dave as i'm sure that's where this is going. But to clear the record I never said the instructor would be on their knees. You injected that red herring. I also said "sometimes" and not "always." Are you starting to feel the chip on your shoulder?

I understand you're a true believer in what you're doing and thats great if it works for you. I thought i was pretty clear regarding my position on this but to expand the thought. As you know, to have good control of a student you need to be near them, positioned to respond to any issue which may arise. A main concern being stopping or slowing down a student which may bolt to the surface. This is relatively easy to accomplish being neutral with one or two students. But when you get more than that i've found it can be faster to react from one end of the group to the other if slightly negative and in contact with the bottom. Other than that, the goal is neutral at all times for students, instructor and assistants.

Look Dave, i know you won't agree with me, you have your mind made up but this is what has worked for me. You asked for an opinion from someone who has done it both ways and thats what you got. Hope this helps.

I understand you're a true believer in what you're doing and thats great if it works for you. I thought i was pretty clear regarding my position on this but to expand the thought. As you know, to have good control of a student you need to be near them, positioned to respond to any issue which may arise. A main concern being stopping or slowing down a student which may bolt to the surface. This is relatively easy to accomplish being neutral with one or two students. But when you get more than that i've found it can be faster to react from one end of the group to the other if slightly negative and in contact with the bottom. Other than that, the goal is neutral at all times for students, instructor and assistants.

Look Dave, i know you won't agree with me, you have your mind made up but this is what has worked for me. You asked for an opinion from someone who has done it both ways and thats what you got. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the clarification.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom