What suit/combination for 65 degree H2O?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DRY SUIT!

:wink:

~SubMariner~

The lowest recent water temp I have read about was 57, and I assume that was at depth because that trip report gave a large temp range. I believe the water temp will be, on average, around 65.

All the liveaboards rent 7mils. The few people I have spoken with who have dove there, all dove wet, some 5 some 7 depending on the time of year.

My real curiosity is: What is the best system now that we have the 5mils? Will a three mil shorty provide enough additional insulation? Or, can anyone make recommendations as to additional layers?

Layering is a tried and true concept. If you're using your 5mm fullsuit as the main layer, there are two additional layers possible that you could think about:

1. A hooded vest underneath -- a 3mm vest thickness + 5 or 6.5mm hood thickness could work pretty well. You'd probably want to get a slick-skin version of this.

2. A 5 or 6.5mm sleeveless step-in jacket over your fullsuit. Certainly, your existing 3mm shorty could work if it's not too tight (i.e. it fits on top of your 5mm, rather than squishing it down. Usually, though, top layers are not back zippered, as I would guess your shorty is, though I'm not sure if that's problematic or not. Top layers are usually also sleeveless, I think to ease donning).

-Simon

First off, I am jealous!!

Second, let us know how the temps are. I'm looking at either running a trip there or having someone in my group of dive buds do it. It would be good to know thermal protection needs.

Third, 57 degrees is definitely borderline drysuit for me. I dive dry 90% of the time, but for temps above 50 I can usually get by in a wetsuit, depending on depth. Remember, that as you get deeper, the less protection from the elements you are going to have. That's one of the main reasons I dive dry. I don't have to compete with Boyle's law.

Fourth, would have to agree that layering is a tried and true method at keeping warm. Just remember, the more neoprene you have to wear to stay warm, the more weight you'll need to offset it, and the more negative you'll be at depth. Can you BCD handle the amount of needed lift?

Have a helluva trip! Look forward to a write up on it.

Cheers! :)

mattiedread....I routinely dive my Liquid Fit 3mm full and 3mm shorty combo in temps as low as 52 without getting cold. My wife on the other hand was cold in her Henderson 5mm full, 3mm shorty, and 3mm hooded vest, a few weeks ago in 62 degree water. Everyone is different and the only way to tell what your comfort level is is to try and see. I'd say if you have a good tolerance for cold water, you'll be fine in your 5mm full and 3mm shorty. If you don't, then get something more. Your safest bet would be to go dry and add insulation as needed.

The 'everyone is different' seems to the conclusion here. I've heard people diving 65F with no suit, and, after seeing the natives in Maine plunge into 59 degree water for a swim, I can believe it.

I'm going out to Block Island on Sunday, the water there should be no warmer than 62-65. Bringing my shorty, 5mm and possibly a Bare sleeveless John.. something with 5m on the chest, and preferably does upper thighs. One way or another, I'll find the combination. My best friend took up spearfishing a while ago so we are going to drift around and look at fish. Can't take the lobsters.

I'm being told extra gloves for the Galapagos from almost everybody I've spoken with who has been there.

Over the years we have cut down our exposure protection to just two suits:

1) full 1/8".
2) DUI 350TLS trilam.

I, being hypthermically inclined, find that my min temp for #1 is about 75F. Sometimes I wear a sleeveless Aeroskin vest underneath the suit.

Meanwhile, He Of The Thermal Stuffing :wink: often wears #1 in temps that would make my teeth chatter. Even in fairly warm waters, the lengths/depths of our dives means that anything less than these suits would be too cold. It goes without saying that full suits are also protection against stings, etc.

We BOTH wear #2 in FL Springs, Gulf of Mexico (Spring, late Fall, Winter) and most recently in the Red Sea in March. At that time everyone else on the liveaboard was wearing 7mm with hoods & gloves because the water only about 60F. We just wore the drysuits with leggings and various long or short sleeved shirts underneath them. Oh yeah... I wore my "dive beanie" too.

Just wanted to clear that up...

~SubMariner~

Back
Top Bottom