What tech Course?? TDI or GUE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexxred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I'm looking at doing some tech diving course within the next few months. Up till now I was pretty sure that I would do the TDI adv nitrox and deco course but now I am considering a GUE tech 1 course (I would need to do their fundementals course to). I'd be interested in any opinions or experiance people have on these courses and what they would recommend.

Cheers

Alex

If you do a search like Jonnythan did you will find a lot of info. Take your time doing the research, 16-50 dives is early so you'll do good to give yourself so time. Tech diving is not to be taken so lightly, maybe an AOW class first.

Regardless of which way to decide to go. The DIR-F class will give you a good idea where your at and help you regardless of whatever type of diving you decice to do.

One thing you may conclude after reading through the above link is alot more GUE divers own computers :D

Popcorn -- I'll bring the popcorn --

(-;

Kimber

I think I need some of your popcorn...and a beer, reading that is giving me a headache.

I'm qualified up to rescue, and have just started diving on doubles so of course I'm going to get some more experiance before ploughing on into more serious territory. After reading most of the thread I'm struck by something I already know. In my humble opinion its the instructor. I did alot of my diving in Koh Tao (Thailiand), a place that's a well know sausage factory but I had I brilliant instructor who taught me well. I think I'll just go and talk to both and see who I feel comfortable with.

Well as you have probably already realized some people will always say GUE and others will always say TDI.
alexxred:
I think I'll just go and talk to both and see who I feel comfortable with.
Sounds like the best plan to me! :wink:

I was faced with the same choice. I chose GUE based on what I could get out of the fewest number of classes.... Tech1 would give me the TDI 'equivalent' of Adv Nitrox (to 100%), Deco Procedures, Normoxic trimix, Gas blending. Turns out between Fundamentals and Tech1, they "gave" me a whole lot more than that. Needless to say, I'm now glad I made the choice I did.

Can't speak for TDI, but with GUE, it will be hard to find an instructor that won't show you the bar as well as teach how to reach it. Though I will admit that some are more professional about how they go about this than others :wink:

I met Gideon during my DIR-F course and got to overhear him doing some of the classroom teaching for the Tech class he was doing. He's very clear and very organized, and he also seemed quite nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom