What the the Scuba Diving movies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw those 2 docs on IMAX and they were quite remarkable.

Another movie that had a small segment of diving was Up Periscope with James Garner.

Don,t forget the creature from the black Lagoon. I don,t remember where it was but i found a sight with a listing of "Blood and Bubbles" movies one time .

Recently saw a frightful film on TV called "The Cabin by the Lake" starring Judd Nelson as the serial killer who abducts women, chucks them into a lake with a cinder block tied to their feet, and then makes an underwater "garden" out of them, diving there every day, to "tend" the garden, and occasionally change the victims' outfits....

Keralucu mentioned "Shark Attack" - don't forget "Shark Attack II" - sheesh! The budget version of the also crap "Deep Blue Sea" including super intelligent great whites, which GROWL like bears when closing in the for the kill, so the divers had some warning they were coming!. Painful.

Not a movie, but the BBC have just released a documentary series called "The Blue Planet" 400 mins plus of awesome u/w videography covering all aspects of the marine environment.

Final point - The Abyss - must be one of my most watched movies (both versions), but can someone please explain how Ed Harris and Co managed to exit the rig without being crushed to death? Serious flaw on James Cameron's part.

Another one that has scary underwater shots, is "What Lies Beneath". It's not an underwater movie, but has some shots that you will remember. And it stars Michelle Phiffer and Harrison Ford, so it can't be all bad. :wink:

Originally posted by Sea Squirt
...but can someone please explain how Ed Harris and Co managed to exit the rig without being crushed to death? Serious flaw on James Cameron's part.
No, not a flaw....just basic physics....

Air pressure inside of the "dry" vessel has to be higher than the water pressure in order to keep the water in the moon pool out. Therefore you are already "equalized" when you enter the water.

And remember, water pressure applied equally around our bodies cannot "crush" us since we are 90% (or so) water ourselves. That's why we can scuba down to 250+meters (25 atmospheres!) and still live.

Originally posted by TexasMike
No, not a flaw....just basic physics....

Air pressure inside of the "dry" vessel has to be higher than the water pressure in order to keep the water in the moon pool out. Therefore you are already "equalized" when you enter the water.

And remember, water pressure applied equally around our bodies cannot "crush" us since we are 90% (or so) water ourselves. That's why we can scuba down to 250+meters (25 atmospheres!) and still live.

I stand corrected! So what you're saying is, under those conditions at any depth, the human body would not be crushed by the water pressure? That makes me a lot happier about the movie then!

some of the final dialog

When they emerge out of the platform they talk about having "something done to them" when mentioned that they should be dead.

as far a being crushed that Liquid air that was used is very interesting stuff, one side discovery is that of artificial blood.

Originally posted by Fishkiller
When they emerge out of the platform they talk about having "something done to them" when mentioned that they should be dead.
You're right. Since what they were doing was the deep saturation diving like DEEP SEA has described before, they would have some serious decompression obligations to go through before being able to stand in open air.

Originally posted by Fishkiller
some of the final dialog

as far a being crushed that Liquid air that was used is very interesting stuff, one side discovery is that of artificial blood.

Errrrm, I'm really going to reveal my film nerdiness here...

At the beginning when Mastrantonio is taking the Navy Seals down to the rig, she mumbles something about "3hrs to get down, and 2 weeks to decompress when they get back" - I just assumed that the "something done to us" comment was to do with that they were at the surface without having to go in the decompression chamber...?

I totally agree with you about the Liquid air stuff - is it true the US Navy is really experimenting with something similar?

yes, SQ and TM you made the connection, no nerdiness there

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom