What to do if your computer dies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iceguy4

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Reciently while doing a week of diving the "vandenburg" one of our group had his computer die. since we had simiular profiles we knew he had satisfied his computer. I gave him my redundant computer to use for our secound dive (I dive 2 computers) well to make a long story short ...the next day he used a different computer from the dive shop and the next day after that he used yet another computer from yet another dive shop. inspite of my warnings to stay with us(dive a simular profile) he chose to dive the full limit of the computers. I have elected not to ever dive with him based on his ignoring our repeated warnings . he is in his mid to late 60's and has logged well over 2000 dives. Am I wrong? BTW our profiles were 100 to 130 feet for all dives

Your back-up computer is your buddy. Diving together, you should have the same plan. This is discussed before the dive. Now...if that diver that you mentioned wants to ignore you and uses another computer for the other dives, that is fine...you don't need a buddy like that. For them to just follow the other computers blindly, I think that is silly. Different computers run different plans and programs. Pushing them to the limits is dumb. They are tools...not dictators. I don't care how many dives a person has. I have seen a lot of divers who have been diving for decades with thousands of dives that I would not enter the water with due to their attitude, skill set, and ignorance for safety.

Sooo not enough information to say for sure but from your perspective it does seem he was pushing the limits of safe diving...

Couple of things that come to mind are:
Surface interval
Safety factor programmed
How many dives a day?
Physical condition

Just out of curiosity was he diving deeper and longer than you at any point?

And from my read of your post it doesn't sound like he was your buddy. Is this correct? He was just another diver on the boat? Was this a DM guided tour?

And to answer the question from the title of the OP, If you comp fails you should call the dive and ascend with your buddy... (you are staying out of deco right?)

It would have been interesting to see what his various comps gave as a NDL versus yours...

I guess I don't see the big deal in what he did. Now if you are saying he was "solo" diving by not being with your group and was off on his own then maybe that wasn't too smart. But if he was with another diver as his buddy and dove to the limits of what the computer said then I don't see a problem at all in what he did.

Well it possible to consider that the information provided by the computer is something less than Gospel. What is happening with repetitive dives is the slower tissue compartments are getting loaded up and they will not get back to surface pressure even with a 24 hour surface interval, although they should be pretty close. Still doing what is describe would be a problem if done enough times in a row. There are a range of different time limits used by different computers and one could reasonably disagree with the limits of a given computer. That said the time limit will drop for all computers with repetitive dives. The other way to dial the limits back is to dive a mix with less nitrogen in it. So for example if you know you are diving 32% and the computer is set for 21% you could make an adjustment. You do not have to follow your computer, but you do need to follow some sort of a plan. It does not sound like there was one here, but it would be worth asking your companion how he was accounting for residual nitrogen, and what his plan was.

I guess I don't see the big deal in what he did. Now if you are saying he was "solo" diving by not being with your group and was off on his own then maybe that wasn't too smart. But if he was with another diver as his buddy and dove to the limits of what the computer said then I don't see a problem at all in what he did.

I think Op was on about nitrogen loading on multi-day diving...

If he wanted to play it safe (advisable in your mid 60's) after his computer died he should have taken a 24 hour surface interval to clear any residual N2, then started with the replacement computer. I realize this would be a pain in the butt when on a multi day dive trip the only way to avoid this is dive with two computers. As for the choices he made I sure he was aware of the risks (computers are conservative to say the least etc) his problem not mine if he gets bent.

I wonder what you would have done if your computer had of stopped working as you gave up your redundant one, followed procedure and give up a day of diving?

I feel it's better to plan your dive, then a computer malfunction isn't really an issue. BTW, I always dive with 2, set to gauge mode.

If a buddy and I have agreed the dive plan in advance(which I always do), then if that buddy deviates from the plan without my agreement, then I am shopping for a replacement buddy. Period.

What BDSC said. If the guy is in his 60' and has over 2000 dives I am sure that he knows his own limits let alone any computer he would be wearing. I had a computer crap out on me last year but kept on keeping on with my watch and air pressure gauge. No problemo.

It's always good to have a backup computer incase the first ones dies.

As for your buddy, I think he was completely wrong. First, it's never a good idea to "ride the line" of a computer, but when doing multiple diving days and changing computers each day is just asking to get bent. It doesn't matter how many dives you have. Some people are idiots, and that will never change whether they have 10 or 10,000 dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom