What to do in this situation as a buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
Bonaire + shore dive = no DM

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
While I certainly can't talk about all of Bonaire, in my experience that is also true of boat dives. In general, the DM's I saw on boat dives were in the water for you if you were interested in using them, but generally everyone did their own dives.

This seems to be a common problem for some new divers. The way I avoid fast ascents chasing after someone is simple: Watch closely your buddy in the first 5 minutes underwater. Assess what type of diver they really are. I seasoned pro will see signs of stress early. Once I see the slightest hint of distress or panic, I then focus on them and which way I am going. On the couple times where I have looked back and one has started treading water while clearing the mask, I start up after them all the while signing the others to stay put. I arrest the ascent, get close and give the OK sign. Once the mask issue is over we return back to the bottom with the others. That being said, I never have more than a couple divers with me, thus reducing the chance of diving accidents. In the past years, I have worked in shops where I had to guide up to 8-10 divers and that is just NOT good diving practice.

actually, since we were both very new to diving, we hired a "guide" who served as our DM.

Bonaire + shore dive = heaven >>>that is a very accurate statement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom