What to do when shark approach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You'd better hope he doesn't have his own Tag-Team buddy to come after you with the folding chair!

Damn. Hadn't thought of that! Might have to get "Nature Boy" Ric Flair to give him a low blow. After all, he was the dirtiest player in the game. Wooooooooooooooooo!

<snicker>

supposidly our bodies have no nutritional value to sharks thats why most "attacks" are one bite its a case of misidentification. Unless your harrassing them changing orientation would potentially make them realise your not a fish, basic defensive manuvers may help if it comes down to that but if it starts getting kinda hairy i would say calmly get the H*** out of the water. People that spearfish are probably much more likely to get bit from having fish odor/blood on them

supposidly our bodies have no nutritional value to sharks thats why most "attacks" are one bite its a case of misidentification. Unless your harrassing them changing orientation would potentially make them realise your not a fish, basic defensive manuvers may help if it comes down to that but if it starts getting kinda hairy i would say calmly get the H*** out of the water. People that spearfish are probably much more likely to get bit from having fish odor/blood on them

We are mammals, our bodies have a great deal of nutritional value....particularly to sharks who hunt mammals......ie: Carcharodon carcharias, the great white and others....

Protein is protein - parts is parts

I wonder if these gizmos really work.

Shark Shield

Shark Shield

Shark-Repelling Device Eaten By Shark During Testing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(season_6)#Animal_Magnetism

And finally, from this site: http://www.luketipple.com/journal/?p=21

The incorrect deployment of a Shark Shield product either intentionally or unintentionally could reduce the effectiveness of our products. For both safety and legal reasons we cannot and will not permit this to occur and have implemented a film and television usage policy which is conditional.

Shark Shield products must only be used by film and television productions after written approval is obtained from either of our official authorities or Shark Shield Pty Ltd itself and Shark Shield products must only be used in accordance with the conditional terms provided by the authority. Both authorities are recognised authorities in the field of working with sharks and understand Shark Shield technology.

Legal action may be taken against film or television companies using a Shark Shield for shoots when approval has not been granted.

Important Note
No shark deterrent system should be a replacement for the understanding of sharks and the site you are operating in, as well as the professional safety crews you employ. Shark deterrent systems are and always will be a last line of defense for any shark shoot or shark site you have in place. Certain water activities inherently involve the danger of potential shark encounters or attacks. Shark Shield has proven effective in deterring said instances however, due to the variables present with ocean and animal behaviors it should not be considered a completely foolproof system.

Shark Shield

They are supposed to; there was a spearfisherman that got nailed by a GW in Oz that was wearing one, and at first it appeared as thought the gizmo failed, then it was discovered that the victim had allowed a critical component to rust.

If my memory serves me correctly that is...

Protein has various strands, i forget where i heard it, but certain strands only get processed by certain enzymes and bacteria in our bodies and with any other animals the same thing. the ways our bodies and other animals process it create other nutrients, based off chemistry and bio If i find the article ill post it but honestly how many shark attacks have you seen where an entire person is eaten That is what leaves me to find it plausible that we have no nutritional content
here is one close to it but i found one a while ago with more of a scientific approach
The Science of Shark Attacks and How to Avoid Them | LiveScience
the article i saw had an excerpt about canibalisim and other things too it was kinda gross but educational

It's quite possible we might not be properly digestable for sharks, but then again, we're intelligent enough to know what foods are really not good for us, and we eat them anyway.

If we can indulge ourselves with junk food, why would we expect any better dietary behavior from animals?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom