What to pack??.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm surprised no one mentioned sunscreen...
One would assume that it is available at the destination.

I pack nearly everything, pick up some toiletry items when I arrive, plus a few additional batteries to supplement my rechargeable ones.

Currently I am in Manila returning from a week at Puerto Galera. My suitcase has a BC, Fins, 3mm wetsuit, hooded vest, dive boots, regulator with several other bits like SMB, two reels, few T-Shirts, shorts etc, weighs in at 22Kg.

My camera gear in a rucksack with laptop weighs in at 10Kg and the Pelican case with housing, ports, strobes etc is 15Kg, both of these I hand carry.

In my rucksack I carry those items that I do not want to rent if I am seperated from my dive gear, i.e. dive computer, regs, camera and mask (I am finicky about my mask) and one change of clothes with some toilety items (normal carry-on items). If it can be bought or rented, then I will pack it in the rollerbage.

Simular to Searcaigh, I have a Pelican case I also use at times. I also keep one dive magazine with my regultor wheter it is in the Pelican case or rucksack. I have had "issues" with some airport security personnel not knowing what a dive reg was and I could show them in the magazine. But I won't expect such issues like that going to Bonaire.

+1 for "Always" carring a SMB on reel and flashing red light :yeahbaby:

Enjoy your trip.

~Michael~

I'm surprised no one mentioned sunscreen...

No real need. Your wetsuit/rash guard is plenty of sun protection when you are diving, a hat and tshirt when not. No need to smear goo all over you that washes off in the water and is not good for the reef to boot.

What to take and maybe just as important what not to.

I don't bother with a SMB, you are never diving more than a hundred yards or so from shore, even when boat diving so in the highly unlikely event you don't come up near the boat, you can easily swim to shore, plus the waves are rarely more than a foot so long range visibility is not hampered by waves. Waving a fin is about as effective. Knives are not needed and gloves are prohibited on Bonaire so they can be left at home.
You will want hard soled booties, ones with tennis shoe like soles, the soft rubbery slipper type are not a good idea. The shore is mainly iron stone and coral rubble which is very hard on the feet. A small flash light or 2 for night diving is great but there is no need for anything more than simple 4 C-cell type, the 7 AA cell Ikelite work great.

For cloths, I recommend you take all the cloths you think will need and make 2 identical piles, same number of shirts, pants and whatever in each, then put one pile back up, most people take way too many cloths. You do not need much in the way of cloths on Boniare. I take a shirt per day, 2 pairs of shorts, 2 or 3 bathing suits and little else. The clean dinner shirt from the night before becomes the dive shirt for the next day. The nighs are warm so there is no need for long sleves, dresses for the ladies or any kind of "nice cloths", shorts and tshirts are fine. There are plenty of tshirt shops on the island if you need a couple more.

When traveling, be sure to keep anything valuable or difficult to replace in your carry on. I recommend carring on prescription meds, regs, computer, camera, mask (esp if it is prescription) and at least 1 change of cloths. I include 1 of my bathing suits in the mix. You can buy pretty much anything you need on island but some things are harder to come by, don't let an airline ruin your trip by losing the one or 2 things you can't easily replace.

Do not carry travelers checks or large bills. They are both a hassel and can be a problem to use. Boniare recently switched over to the US Dollar so there is no need for currency conversion. Credit cards are accepted most places and there are ATM machines all over the island so you can get cash easily.

I would suggest you take some time and read over the many post on Bonaire here. Over the years, a lot of us who know Bonaire well have posted a lot of great hints and tips to make your trip more fun, well worth the time to read them. If you can't find the answer to a specific question, ask odd are we know the answer. Another forum you may find useful is www.bonairetalk.com

One non diving item that you will find useful in helping you pack is a 50 lb digital fishing scale. You can buy these at pretty much any sporting goods/ Walmart type places. Use them to balance and adjust your suitcases so you don't go over the 50 limit and pay the excess baggage charge. I try to keep mine in the 45 lb range to give me a little extra room for t-shirts bought on island and for any wet items that may be adding to the weight of my bags.

Got a 2 week trip planned later this year myself...can't wait to get back.

One more travel tip.. do not put your gear in anything other than a plain old suitcase with nothing but your ID on the outside of it. Dive bags and cases with cool dive stickers all over them just screams "expensive stuff inside, please steal me".

One more travel tip.. do not put your gear in anything other than a plain old suitcase with nothing but your ID on the outside of it. Dive bags and cases with cool dive stickers all over them just screams "expensive stuff inside, please steal me".

Right now I am on my six on seven diving trips with a MARES...JUST ADD WATER diving backpack and it has always arrived at destination with me (Coz, Cuba, Bahamas, Bonaire....).

There are mainly two types of individuals who go to Bonaire, Dutch or Dutch descendants and scuba divers. Unless you happen to have a dutch name, you will, in all likelihood be a member of the second group carrying very expensive stuff in that plain big suitcase or big buffel bag on wheel.

However, I am in agreement that in some other parts of the world, it could be construed as such. I will keep that advice in mind for my next diving trip....Key Largo :wink:.

Last edited:
Wow guys...Thanks again for all the good info! I have been looking through the archives and am getting a lot of intel on the island :cool2:. Got the Nitrox covered. Picked up a big black suitcase at walmart on clearance and am making a list and checking it twice... ok, over and over again. The one thing that I did not see any mention of is a dive flag. Is it assumed that there are always divers in the water all around Bonaire? Just wondering. Thanks again!

---------- Post added April 8th, 2012 at 08:48 AM ----------

If you want to night dive, a small red strobe is nice to mark your return point.
I have never heard of a strobe used, is this something that you place upon entry and then return to it when it is time? So much stuff to learn!

I take everything, pay for extra bags, and etc. on most trips, but on Bonaire, even with lots of shore diving, you are never far from a dive shop that will have repair/replacement parts. I do take a first aid kit, and strong insect repellant, which you will want to wear if you kayak the mangrove swamps, which you will want to do.
I wear prescriptions masks, and carry those onboard. I also carry one my camera. The rest I check. However, many divers also carry on their regs and computer, and I have on occasion. Have a great trip!
DivemasterDennis

Right now I am on my six on seven diving trips with a MARES...JUST ADD WATER diving backpack and it has always arrived at destination with me (Coz, Cuba, Bahamas, Bonaire....).

There are mainly two types of individuals who go to Bonaire, Dutch or Dutch descendants and scuba divers. Unless you happen to have a dutch name, you will, in all likelihood be a member of the second group carrying very expensive stuff in that plain big suitcase or big buffel bag on wheel.

However, I am in agreement that in some other parts of the world, it could be construed as such. I will keep that advice in mind for my next diving trip....Key Largo :wink:.

The locals are not the problem, it's the baggage and other folks in the back areas of the airports that you transit through, most don't have a clue where Bonaire is but do understand dive gear is expensive, easy to sell and pretty much untraceable. I see no need in advertising "expenisve equipment inside" if you don't have to.

No need for a dive flag or float, they are not needed on Bonaire. By the way, the food and water are safe to eat/drink so don't be afraid so drink from the tap...which reminds me of another tip...we buy a 1L bottle of water for everyone once on island and refill it from the tap. Fill it 1/2 way and freeze it on it's side, then fill the rest of the way before leaving for the beach dive. Wrapped up in towels, it stays cool for some time. An empty 2L drink bottle filled with water then placed on the hood of the truck makes a very nice after dive face rinse. Always a big hit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom