What to pack??.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last night dive we did was at Captain Don's. They have a line run down the reef that you can follow back up to their dock. On descent we tie a strobe onto the down line at about 25 ft. We precede down to 50' or whatever and then head into the current. When we return we work our way back up to 25' and the strobe is there to mark the up line. A red light does not affect your night vision as does a white light.

Princeton Tec Eco Flare Tank Light discounts on sale Princeton Tec

You do not say whether you have open or closed heel fins. Very few divers use closed heel (full foot) fins because of the need for foot protection when doing a typical shore dive. So, if you do not have open heel fins, consider getting a pair, plus the booties to go along with them. Most Bonaire shore divers consider them an absolute necessity.

Carry on:

Regulator, computer, camera, Nautilus Lifeline, compass, nitrox analyzer, CO analyzer, nook (kindle),

Suitcase:
Backplate&Wing, 3mm Farmer John, skin suit, fins, booties, dive socks, safety kit (sausage, mirror, whistle, shears), snorkel, mask, spare mask, swim trunks, shirts, shorts, flip flops, shaving kit.

I agree that you need more than a 2mm for thermal protection. I would also recommend you bring a pair of sweatpants and sweatshirt - this helps me recover my heat afterwards so I don't start the next day feeling cold. Also, bring the 2mm- you might want to layer thermal protection.

Herman has really covered it nicely as have others. I will say that I dive in a 2 mm shortie and it's more than enough for me. As a matter of fact I had a 3 mm shortie and would get too hot at times so I had a 2 mm one made. I have dove that in Bonaire in January and February and don't get cold so I think being there in the summer months would be no problem for you. Of course everyone is differend and no one knows your body better than you. If you think a 2 mm shortie is enough then it probably is.

I also don't carry a compass with me. What we usually do is take a surface swim out to the edge of the reef and then drop down where the reef starts or where the buoy is. Once down, say in about 20ft or so of water, we both find some unique feature in/on the reef and remember what it looks like and the surrounding area. Off we go down and along the wall. On the return trip as we are back along the top of the reef area we start to look for that feature at the appropriate time and when we find it you just turn to the right or left and swim back to shore below the surface. It's really pretty easy to find your way back and I haven't used a compass on Bonaire in nine trips.

Also, one night go and eat at Casablanca and get the "mixed grill for two". It would easy feed four to six people. It's just a crazy amount of food. Makes great leftovers the next day!

You will probably need some bug repellent. I prefer the wipes over the spray. Just remember that anything you buy in Bonaire will be very costly. Your 2mm shorty will probably be enough thermal protection, it is just according to your cold tolerance. I usually dive nothing but a skin and do fine. the water temp should be in the 84 degree range when you are there. Just rememeber that when you do shore dives, leave NOTHING value in your vehicle. And have a great time.

I wore a full 3mm in Feb this year, it was perfect.

Everyone else has covered the packing list quite well. The bit about it all having to be carry on is a load of hooey though. We flew on a little 8 seater from Curacao or Bonaire and they were fine with our 2 checked bags each (we flew Insel Air out of Miami). Howkever there was not a lot of room for CARRY ON on this plane (everything was stacked in the back 2 seats of the plane!).

Definitely no need for a dive float, however try not to surface "way out in the blue" if you can help it - as people who are fishing or have rental boats are not as watchful of divers as the dive boat captains are. You're unlikely to get any major wave/current action unless you do some of the northern dive sites in Washington-Slaagbai (possibly misspelled!) national park, but you don't even need to dive these sites at all, as they're hard to get to and there are TONS more that are easier. I've done a few of these sites by boat, it's definitely the way to go.

Bonaire is super easy natural navigation wise, so I'm another one that doesn't bother with the compass much. "up" the reef is always towards shore :)

I would DEFINTELY pack bug spray and sunsceen. Prices for these items are 3x the US cost for them on the island, and the selection is not great. Especially if you or your wife is picky about skin products. Also if there are any snack foods you can't live without that are light bring that as well. As most resteraunts are outdoors you're going to want to wear bug spray at supper time for sure.

I always like to have waterproof sandals or shoes for on and off the diveboats. Everything you bring is going to get wet. If you have things that must stay dry, bring a small drybag.

Also, one night go and eat at Casablanca and get the "mixed grill for two". It would easy feed four to six people. It's just a crazy amount of food. Makes great leftovers the next day!

+1 for the mixed grill for two. this is what it looks like accompanied with a bottle of wine...

008a (2).jpg

The wine's in the way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom