What to wear in 65 degree water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anybody used these heat packs I have seen for sale via catalog? They say you can heat them in the microwave and make them hard them whack them to release the heat and they last for two hours. Sez you can attach them inside your wetsuit.

Yes I dislike being COLD!

If I had a 5mm I'd wear that + hood and gloves. As it is I'd wear my 6.5mm semi dry plus hood and gloves. You can't overheat in the water so I'd always wear too much than too little.

How about a submarine?

I have one of those heat packs, they are filled with a material that stores energy, then crystalizes as it gives the energy off. The one I have has a button in it that pops when you press it, causing the reaction.
I used to use them with snowboarding gear, but the only concern I would have is that they get REAL hot and you could burn yourself without knowing...just a thought.

So I'd pack the 7 mil one piece and maybe a hooded vest or an extra hood if I found the vest arrangement too warm. I don't like being cold, so I err on the side of warmth, particularly for multiple days of diving. I assume you will be diving wrecks, so I'd take gloves if only for protection.

Buff,
The water temp is running in the mid 60s inshore to the low 70s offshore (close to the Gulf stream) now. By midmay, the temps should be up another 3 degrees or so. Right now I'm using a 5 mil full suit, a 5 mil hooded vest, 3 mil gloves and am comfortable (I don't tolerate cold well at all). Have a nice trip.
DSAO

Buff,

I was kidding of course, but being the CAD that I am, I truly do not like being cold. It's a bad thing for someone that is moving from Florida to Virginia. I am a private pilot and have flow a lot of different types of airplanes, but never an ultralight. One day, but only if it is equipped with a Ballistic Parachute system and I have a hand held radio. Are you a pilot as well?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom