What to wear under 7mm wetsuit to keep me warmer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Areometer

Registered
Reaction score
To All,

I was freezing my butt off last weekend when I dove at Halibut Point. Water temp. was 38-39F according to my low-tech analog gauge. I am already wearing 7mm wet suit. What else can I wear under this wet suit that can keep me warmer underwater? I don't want to end the SCUBA season any time soon, my dive buddy dives with dry suit, lucky *******...

Thanks in advance.

Areometer:
To All,

I was freezing my butt off last weekend when I dove at Halibut Point. Water temp. was 38-39F according to my low-tech analog gauge. I am already wearing 7mm wet suit. What else can I wear under this wet suit that can keep me warmer underwater? I don't want to end the SCUBA season any time soon, my dive buddy dives with dry suit, lucky *******...

Thanks in advance.

I was in the same position last year so I went Dry. Just go Dry

Areometer:
To All,

Thanks in advance.
the trick that i used all winter long is by taking hot water from the boiler and putting it in a steel container and wrapping it in a towel. just before i enter the water i pout it down the wet suit and am good for a one hour tank dive. have never had a problem so try it for your self and see if it works for you good luck

nite_diver

Geeezuz, those are dry suit temps for sure. Just curious what kind of wetsuit do you have. I have an XCEL and it does pretty well keeping the cold out.

If you are looking for an expedient fix get a vest to go over your suit to keep your core warmer but as everyone said those temps are really way too low for regular use of a wet suit.

Areometer:
To All,

Thanks in advance.

Well you're in drysuit range for sure but if you want to push the limits lets see what options you have.

You don't say what you have for a suit but if it's just a 7mm fullsuit you need to get a second layer on your core. Somehting like the BARE hooded step-in 7mm Arctic would work, it works well for me.

Are your arms and hands geting cold? I just went from my regular gloves to my Bare gauntlet gloves and having that second layer over my wrists helped a lot.

Neoprene socks can help the feet a lot too.

The big one mentioned is jump starting the suit with warm water before you get in. I start by filling by booties 1/2 way then zipping them, more in at the waist then make sure you get some some down the sleeves. Don't have it too hot since that can mess up your blood vessels and cause other problems. Water's going to enter the suit one way or the other, you just want to beat the ocean to the punch.

Avoid terribly deep dives since they will reduce the insulation of your suit and take you into the coldest water. Try to strike a balance between saving air and moving your body and a good pace. Endless hovering will let you chill down quick.

I haven't done any cold weather scuba yet but I did some 40F skindiving in my 5mm before getting 7mm so I do have a sense of warding off the cold.

Just remember that you are pushing the limits. When you feel you are getting cold you are already cold. This is different from feeling cold around you. Be careful and don't kill yourself trying to keep up with your dry buddies.

You probably don't want to be doing a second dive but if you do there's a good recent surface interval thread. http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=113801

Pete

I wear 1mm Microprene and 5mm hooded vest. It helps at 40 F....

My 7mm is an Xcel brand, I also use an Akona hood-vest underneath it. I felt cold on my body & back, not on my head, face, arms, legs, hands, feet, etc.

Thanks every one.

Areometer:
To All,

What else can I wear under this wet suit that can keep me warmer underwater?.

Another 7mil or a few inches of Bioprene.

Back
Top Bottom