What type of suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andy_j_briggs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, I've recently qualified as a PADI Open Water Diver and am keen to do a bit of diving this summer, however this may be a mix of UK coastal diving and diving in warmer climates. Having spoken to a few people, I've decided to hire kit and spend money on diving whilst I work out what BCD, Regs etc I like. One area where I'm a bit uncertain though is over suit choice - my local dive centre just offers dry suit diving which would involve another course and if I can get away with it I will use another dive club and dive in a wetsuit in UK waters. The question is, will a wetsuit be warm enough for UK summer waters (south coast). Also, would it be feasible to get a 5mm wetsuit to use in warmer waters eg Red sea, Mediterranean etc and use this in the UK with some form of undersuit to keep me warm?

Andy

Hmmm,
I would go 7mm for a number of reasons.
You can get the most variety of uses out of it.
If you are in Baby Water...(Tropics, Asia) Then of course you should have
A 5 or in most cases 3 or one of those new combo mixed thickness suits
Maybe you should look into buying one of those.
But if you do a lot of diving you will start to notice you get colder easier. Especially after a week of diving. You actually end up lowering your base body temp.
In the Med. you generally need a thicker suit because a lot of the cool stuff is 30 meters down and it's also colder. I have not been to the Red Sea Yet (hopefully this year)But I have heard from a lot of people that have used thicker suits there.
I am taking a dry-suit course in April because I am going to do some mountain diving here is austria. But I would love to dive in the UK waters but that is dry-suit territory I think? Could'nt hurt to take a dry-suit course and test UK Waters out.
Also having Dry Suit Experience is helpful. Though they are expensive to buy.
I will rent for awhile.
Obviously as time goes on you will have a drysuit,and a couple of wetsuits.
Think about a computer though and a safety sausage (mandatory)

hope that helps

i recently bought a 2 piece 7mm farmer john. on a recent trip to Florida (water temp 64+, it kept me very warm... it is a pain to put on and the boyancy is incredable (i was using 30 lbs of weight). i would also seriously consider something like a Lycra suit to help.

depending on your tolerance of the water temperature, you may consider renting a 5mm and maybe a core warmer to see how that works for you.

For us non-locals, could you tell us the temperatures of the waters you will be diving in.

Not knowing the answers to the above I would think that if one outfit is using drysuits exclusively the temperature must be in the range where even a 7mm wetsuit is marginal.

I doubt seriouly that you will be able to get one suit that can be used at all locations.But the thinner suits are not expensive.

Yes you can layer wetsuits. I use a 5/3mm hooded vest under my 7mm wetsuit. This common here. thin "shorty's" also work. But do not buy a 3mm and 4mm suit and
try to use it ias a 7mm.

andy_j_briggs:
Hi, I've recently qualified as a PADI Open Water Diver and am keen to do a bit of diving this summer, however this may be a mix of UK coastal diving and diving in warmer climates. Having spoken to a few people, I've decided to hire kit and spend money on diving whilst I work out what BCD, Regs etc I like. One area where I'm a bit uncertain though is over suit choice - my local dive centre just offers dry suit diving which would involve another course and if I can get away with it I will use another dive club and dive in a wetsuit in UK waters. The question is, will a wetsuit be warm enough for UK summer waters (south coast). Also, would it be feasible to get a 5mm wetsuit to use in warmer waters eg Red sea, Mediterranean etc and use this in the UK with some form of undersuit to keep me warm?

Andy

Thanks for the advice everyone, having also looked at pictures from other UK clubs' dives in the UK I noticed that everyone seems to be wearing drysuits - looks like a wetsuit may not be a sensible option! Probably better to do a drysuit course and invest in a 5mm wetsuit for diving in the Med/red sea area!

andy_j_briggs:
Thanks for the advice everyone, having also looked at pictures from other UK clubs' dives in the UK I noticed that everyone seems to be wearing drysuits - looks like a wetsuit may not be a sensible option! Probably better to do a drysuit course and invest in a 5mm wetsuit for diving in the Med/red sea area!

You are spot on with this observation, Andy. A good shell drysuit will give you a much wider water temp dive range than a 5mm suit.

Also a good call on taking the course. :thumb:

Take care,

Back
Top Bottom