What was your most amazing dive experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharks are amazing and to even see one on a standard dive is rare. I head to the areas where they are seen the most. I have had no bad encounters, but I realize that they are wild animals and one must be aware of their behaviors. Shark diving isn't for everyone, but for me, it truly is my ultimate passion! That is why I devote alot of my time to their conservation and protection.

Carolyn:shark2:

For the few stories of shark attacks, when you look at the number of divers in the water everyday all over the world, attacks are very few and far between. Less than 1%. So it's not worth getting worked up over. There is no difference in a diver in the ocean coming across a shark or a hiker in Alaska on a trail coming across a Grizzly. You are in their world and they should be respected. You just pay attention to your surroundings. Sharks are more afraid of you than you are of them. Unless you have a fish on a spear...then we are talking a totally different scenario. There will always be the exception...but then sharks are wild creatures and can be unpredictable. That shouldn't keep you from diving and enjoying the amazing underwater world.

Carolyn:shark2:

Thus far my most amazing dive experience is my first open water dive. As soon as I sank down into the ocean's depth, I knew that I was hooked for life.

Yes- I did ask for amazing! I also realize that this is an irrational phobia- Carolyn- thanks for the insight!

I know diving has it's risks and sharks are at the bottom of the list.

I think there's something fantastic to be found in all dives. Howerver, 2 recent ones standout for now.

1. Diving Villa Blanca in Coz last month we saw every species Coz has to offer on that one dive except for sharks. Just a slow smooth drift and all the critters just seemed to find us. I mean schools of squid, cozumel spendid toadfish, spotted drum, sea horses, small yellow rays southern sting rays, a ginormous eagle ray, eels, turtles, and a huge lobster hunting in the open. Thank you God, what a dive!

2. Last summer I dove a shark feeding dive with Unexso in Freeport GBI. This was soooo cool. To have that many reef sharks and nurse sharks swimming around and amoungst us was quite a thrill. The feeder Christina) actually put a large female under tonic immobility (kind of shark hypnosis) and we all got to touch it. Also Christina gave me one of the shark teeth she removed from her chainmale gloves during the feed. How cool is that! I have the toothe from a still living shark. It's pristine white. That shark must have a great dental plan.

As I said I usually find something cool about every dive, but these were 2 standouts.

Dive safe :D

cruising around the props of the USS Bass at 150'. Amazing ambient light and vis, tons of life including huge schools of Hake, sea ravens, dog fish, etc. She's a huge wreck with tons of detail to admire from the break all the way to the stern..

I remember the feeling of awe the first time I dived after certification, I'm still waiting for it to wear off, but one of my most memorable dives, was when I worked as a dive guide; I'd been allocated to dive with a very nervous couple who had done their whole certification (theory and practical sessions) in just 2 days about a week earlier.

I planned a nice easy 10-12 meter dive with them and after swimming with the resident barracuda school which was in the shallows that day, I was leading them over a broken coral patch (normally this is a slightly deeper wall dive to miss the broken coral) to the better coral when we came across 2 octopuses mating, the colours and patterns that moved across them in a continuous wave were just amazing, it was hard to see a break in the patterns from one to the other.

To finish the dive, when we surfaced, the smile on their faces was just fantastic and the first thing the lady said was "I can't wait to dive again".

Being able to dive is brilliant, but being able to share that feeling with someone else, priceless.

Back
Top Bottom