What wetsuit choices for diving Cenotes Mexico.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben_3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Planning a trip to Mexico during the winter. It will be the first time diving in the cenotes. What wetsuit is best? I usually dive in a 3mm full wetsuit for ocean dives but I do get cold after a while. I don't own a 5mm so I was thinking of brining a 7mm and flushing if I get too warm. Thoughts?

I did full cave in MX in August. Up to 90 min dives. Did a 5mm. Water was 74-76 above the halocline (fresh) and 81 below it (salt). Guess it depends on your cold tolerance. I was fine in my 5mm. I was too hot below the halocline.

So you might be fine in the 7mm unless you wanted to rent a 5mm.

Are you diving cenotes the whole time, or just a portion? I usually dive a 3mm in Cozumel, but when we did a day of cenote diving I only brought my 5mm down for the week, and was glad to have it -- though some folks dive 3mm there (and some just swimsuits).

If you're diving in cenotes every day you may either want the 7mm (though it might be easy to overheat gearing up and walking to the water entrance) or maybe good just to get a cheap 5mm (my $100 Neosport 5mm has been fine).

I dive a 5mm BARE Velocity, and am fine; my wife dives a 3mm Henderson Thermoprene Pro, and would be cold.

The dive shop we used recommended that she add a 3mm rental shorty and it worked perfectly.

I did my training in a 7mm and it was too warm. I've used a JMJ 5mm farmer John with 5mm pullover hooded jacket since then in Yucatan caves and have never been cold. My 2psi.

I use a 7mm with a 5mm hooded vest under it. It's all about exposure duration, depth, and physical effort.

If I was in the water less than 60 minutes a 5mm would probably be okay for me. When I get over 2 hours I definitely need the 7.

If you are alternating Cenote and ocean dives, with a couple dives a day, you should be able to get away with a 3 mm. I usually add a 3 mm hooded vest and am plenty warm. But if you doing primarily cenote diving, going 5 mm would be ideal.

I assume you are planning cavern dives and not cave dives. Cavern dives are much shorter, and you may well be fine in the 3mm suit--but not by much. For 2 hour cave dives, I have been fine with my 5mm suit. It is getting old, though, and I may use my 7mm suit on the next trip.

Planning a trip to Mexico during the winter. It will be the first time diving in the cenotes. What wetsuit is best? I usually dive in a 3mm full wetsuit for ocean dives but I do get cold after a while. I don't own a 5mm so I was thinking of brining a 7mm and flushing if I get too warm. Thoughts?
Sounds like your best option unless you want to buy a 5mm. Take the 7mm, dunk it in the water before donning it to let it cool by evaporation, and flush it throughout the dive to cool off. A second-best option might be to buy a neoprene or Lavacore or similar vest to wear under the 3mm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom