What wetsuit choices for diving Cenotes Mexico.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wetsuit arms were a bit too long so I had to fold the cuff back a bit anyway, which helped my computers stay on. Both Perdix are on my forearms.
Such a simple solution! Tucking it under would be enough to stop them slipping off.

Oh, and pee valves? Yes, everyone pisses in their wetsuit, but is there anything to be done to let the flavour flood out?
Small, unbalanced p valve, remove the bolt, and poke a hole in the leg of the suit. Valve to suit integrity isn’t super relevant, so this is something you could do in a hotel room with an exacto knife and without additional adjectives. Routing is the same, and it’s rather nice not smelling like urine on the drive home.

Thanks for the answers. From the comments above I seem to understand a 5mm or even a 7mm would be ok with a hood. Those going with a 3 + a seconde layer.. that seems to add up close to a 7mm ish.. Do you guys bring gloves?
5mm is ideal for most folks for cavern diving.

3mm + either a 3mm shorty or hooded vest also works very well and is a better option if you are also doing ocean dives on the same trip. 6mm over your core doesn't really add up to a 7mm everywhere. It's less bulky for packing, requires less weight, and will be more comfortable out of the water.

A shorty with a full front zip is very convenient for this. This one is $53 on Amazon:
Seaskin shorty

How do you stop wrist-mounted stuff from sliding off of wetsuit wrists? Is there something you can use to hold your computers, compasses, etc. in place?

Also pockets; thoughts on pockets on wetsuits? Or just use tech shorts (and look like a dork).

Oh, and pee valves? Yes, everyone pisses in their wetsuit, but is there anything to be done to let the flavour flood out?
I have never had anything slide off my wrist, is that a normal issue people have? My left wrist has a perdix and my right wrist has a perdix and a mirror. Neither have every moved during a dive.
All of my suits have pockets. Either from factory or installed by me.
I have a pvalve in a couple of my wetsuits. My current one just has a hole in the leg with the hose poking out. Works great. My wifes suit is set up the same with just a hole and the hose through it. I have no interest in my suits smelling like urine.

I have very little wetsuit experience -- used one twice last week and for the first time in 10 years (my old drysuit leaked like a sieve so rented a wetsuit). Have exclusively used drysuits for the past 10 years, all have dryglove cuffs.

Stuff sliding off wetsuit wrists seems to be an issue for me as wetsuit neoprene is nylon covered and thus is slippery. Any bungeed computers need to be very tight to stick in place, sliding around and slipping down the taper of your forearm. Ended up having to wrap the bungee of my controller around my thumb to keep it in place.

Was wondering if there's any sort of "anti slip" gadget or technique to rough-up the surface of the wetsuit. Maybe even paint some glue on the wrist?

Or maybe I'm unique! Doubt it though.

I have very little wetsuit experience -- used one twice last week and for the first time in 10 years (my old drysuit leaked like a sieve so rented a wetsuit). Have exclusively used drysuits for the past 10 years, all have dryglove cuffs.

Stuff sliding off wetsuit wrists seems to be an issue for me as wetsuit neoprene is nylon covered and thus is slippery. Any bungeed computers need to be very tight to stick in place, sliding around and slipping down the taper of your forearm. Ended up having to wrap the bungee of my controller around my thumb to keep it in place.

Was wondering if there's any sort of "anti slip" gadget or technique to rough-up the surface of the wetsuit. Maybe even paint some glue on the wrist?

If you're using a single piece of bungee for your computer, I've found the pulling the excess from either the top or bottom (i.e. the flat side closest to where 6 or 12 would be displayed on a wrist watch) and then doubling that back over the computer will solve your dry to wet problem.

Since I've lost a bunch of weight, I can't tolerate longer dives in a wetsuit anymore. I just deal with the extra bag and fly dry.

My computers have silicone bungee. They aren't tight at all and I have never had one move. I used to use the factory shearwater straps, I can't remember them moving either. I'm not sure what the difference would be between our suits. I am currently in a pinnacle 6-7-8 semi dry. It is the same material as the Hollis one it replaced.

We did a 3 hour dive this morning and I paid attention to see if they moved and I was just moving them back without noticing. They never moved at all over the course of 5 jumps and a lot of marker placements.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom