What would take to make your LDS happy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Overall, I find it that LDS-es have hard time accepting the reality that the old "low volume, high margin" territorial model they are built around is being rapidly replaced by a "high volume, low margin" internet mega store model. It's not 1970 anymore, so get over it - don't fight against the consumer preferences and specialize in something you are good at (training, service). If they frown at you for shopping at LeisurePro, tell them "Why don't you stop shopping at Amazon.com - you are sinking you local books/electronics/etc store?" :eyebrow:

I asked my LDSs where they bought their last car. The one that gets my business is the one that bought it from the same place I did. The dealer with the BEST PRICE.

Hi,

I was wondering, if someone has an idea of a figure ($$$ a YR) how much is reasonable to 'support' 'your' shop ?

Maybe a memership $200/yr?

Should we ask them? Has anyone really made happy his LDS?

It has not been clear to me in some shops what is expected from me as a customer to get service... free of BS....do not buy online...if you buy it online do no bring it here....bad faces ....are you going to signup for the trip?....Did you buy that in other shop?....you just come for the air and no buy anything etc etc...etc...

Any ideas are welcome.....I promise to try them with my LDS.

Thanks

Thankfully, my LDS owner runs his shop like a business and doesn't use any lame pressuring techniques to generate revenue. My LDS owner doesn't expect to receive charity to stay in business. He's simply a well-liked, generous guy who provides excellent service and products at very competitive prices. He runs his business well.

Still, since we'd hate to lose him or have him not do well, "supporting" his shop may be critical during severe dips in the economy. In times like these, many of his customers do what they can by increasing their patronage or by referring new customers.

Referring people to get their OW certification can really help a shop.

Your LDS owner might be receptive to discussing competitive pricing. At least that might get you back to a "business-like" relationship..... if done tactfully, that is. :wink:

"Support" can also come in the form of suggesting dive club activities that might generate revenue for him. Club members could volunteer to mentor or guide refresher or tune-up dives, etc.

If the shop owner knows you want to help him, maybe his focus will switch from you handing him money to him improving his business practices. :D

Dave C

When I mentioned that I had been calling around and his was the highest price by far, he wouldn't budge. He claimed that all the other shops were violating pricing policies (all of them?!).
sounds like collusion to me

sounds like collusion to me

I contacted 6 (that I remember) shops that sold DUI from the shore to Central Mass. and only one quoted full retail. The amounts below MSRP varied by each shop. I think it was simply each shop's acceptable margins. I was also clear with each that I was looking for 2 dry suits. I thought this might help slightly with the overall price.

Interesting program. I don't see it doing much for experienced divers except for the lower priced fills. Which to me, is really the same thing as offering a fill card which my LDS does. I have one, but I can't remember what I paid for it. Something like $60 for ten fills.

Hmmm, lets see.... 10% off equipment means I'd have to buy $1,000 worth of equipment every year just to recoup the cost of the membership. Or if I get 50 air refills saving $2 per fill I would break even... of course I could just get a 30 fill card for the same per fill price.

Or if I don't own any gear and dive a lot using rental equipment I might be able to come out ahead on this... but how many divers meet this profile? Or maybe it is the waiver of the shore dive fee?

Like most "value packages" every diver should carefully consider what they need and are likely to use before purchasing such offers.

I want good service at a good price, but most of all a friendly knowledgeable LDS. I have brought dive gear on road trips to Indiana and the Keys specifically to get it serviced by a particular dive shop. I have ordered a drysuit online and had it shipped overnight to an RV park in New Orleans. Now that's customer service! The good LDS's will not pressure or make their customers feel guilty. The last thing I want to hear is how little they make off of me on a particular item.

I am not here to make my LDS happy, they are here to make me happy.

I did the SDI/TDI Divemaster course and one of the things I found really interesting is that they very strongly discourage negative marketing by any dive professionals certified by them. It is actually a major point in their code of conduct.

The premise is basically that you should never market by bad-mouthing the competition. Customers don't want to hear it and it just makes you and your business look petty. Instead, it is better to market based on your merits.

I bring it up because it seems to me this is something a lot of shops (and politicians) seem to miss. If you provide a better experience you don't need to bash the competition.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom