What would you consider your level to be?

What would you consider your level to be?

Votes: 30 14.4%
  • Beginner

Votes: 56 26.9%
  • Intermediate

Votes: 53 25.5%
  • Advanced

Votes: 52 25.0%
  • Super Diver

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • Better than Iguana Don... no, really!

Votes: 5 2.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

109 dives (hopefully 111 by tomorrow), freshly Dive Master certified, it will be two years in just about three weeks since my very first dive.

I bought all my equipment, almost everything right before the course began, I usually dive in cold, dark, murky waters, like to take a couple trips a year (twice to the Red Sea, once to Thailand with a second visit in May).

To paint a more accurate picture? The list above might be a good start, however I know at least one person with a bunch of cards that can't dive worth a damn. A stack of cards does not a diver make.

More importantly: how many dives a year, how many dives total, how much time underwater (i.e. hours), how many dives in a particular situation (i.e. cold vs. warm water, wreck, etc), how many hours u/w in those situations, how comfortable were you in those situations, what did you learn from them, what do you still need to learn, and so forth (I'm sure there's more, but I'll allow the discussion to take that course).

I voted intermediate, however I consider myself still learning; I do not think that one can be a diver without continuing to pursue new diving related activities or locales or education and theory or equipment. If you don't use your skills, learn new ones, you will lose them. Though I have dived many different places under different conditions, I think that I am still at the bottom of the diving curve in many respects.

Cheers :)

I chose beginer...although just.

I got OW certified just over a month ago....I've had the oportunity to go on 12 dives since then. I'm very comfortable in the water and both my air use and my bouoncy <sp?> have improved each dive (although I'm still working on both).

It was very cool though, last Friday we were diving around a wreck, and I realized that I was moving up and down over projections using just my air....wasn't even thinking about it, I was just inhaling more before I needed to go up and then exhaled to resume my depth.

I'm embarrased to admit it was one of the highlights of my dive.
Not that I could do it as much (been working on it since class) but that I wasn't even thinking about it....I just did it.

I've gotten completely obsessed by SCUBA....friends are starting to worry
:D

Borderline between beginner and intermediate, but I feel I'm closer to intermediate. My first 45 dives have exposed me to several different kinds of diving, and I'm comfortable, but realize there's always room for improvement.

I think that I am only 70 ft or so above sea level... and a half bubble off plumb to boot!

As for diving... I am not sure that I could classify myself. I am far more comfortable with others making that judgement. I have always felt that to judge one's self is a conflict of interest. Others see you far more clearly than you could ever see yourself. While you may see ulterior motives in your critics, listen to them anyway. Whether they have choosen to help you or not, their illumination of your faults can only be positive if you act on them. You might not even agree with the totality of their assesment, but if you look close, really close, you will find nuggets of truth and ways to grow. Act on those, and you will become rich in character. Most people and ALL agencies spend more time defending themselves then they do eradicating their faults and perfecting their strengths. In the end who is right matters not... what is right does. (end of sermon) (does this mean I get to pass the plates too???)

I know:
1) I'm comfortable in the environments I've been trained for.
2) Some dives are out of my comfort zone but not so far that I shouldn't challenge myself with them to expand that zone
3) When to say when

I can't classify myself for the same reasons NetDoc gave. Maybe you could ask my instructor or the students I have worked with, their assessment would be the most accurate.
Ber :bunny:

Hi Ber Rabbit,
I feel I am some where in agreement with you over ratings. My amateur diving experience is miniscule when it comes into perspective with professional who may spend thirty plus days in deep saturation on a single dive.

I find it hard to catagorise myself, Although I have only been diving for 18 months,I have logged over 160 dives a majority of them in the cold dark waters of the UK. I am a certified SAA Dive Leader, PADI Eanx Diver, PADI Rescue diver, medic first aid, SAA Assistant Instructor, yadda, yadda, yadda.
Within the circle of people I dive with there are some with far more dives than I and no-where near as much common sense and some with less dives than I and far more 'savvy'.
I suppose the answer to this question is relative to who you dive with and what you dive for.
I like to look upon myself as experienced............ enough to keep watching, listening & learning.

:potty:

Like I said...

Originally posted by Murdock325
Just to get an idea where everyone is at...

I'm sure there are more options that could've/should've been listed, but lets try and keep it basic without having to try and define everything.

Whatever you think you are based on your own definitions is fine!

:)

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom