What would you do with slow inflator leak on a liveaboard trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

c - disconnect and orally inflate.

Never thought of carrying a spare inflator, I will add one to my kit at some point, are they available to buy separately, because I have never seen them on a shelf in a dive shop?

Curacao J turned me on to the Zeagle power inflator, which can be bought separately as an accessory for any BC/Wing. The nice thing about the Zeagle is that once you have installed it, it screws on and off to a fitting that is approximately the size of a garden hose attachment. So cleaning inside your wing is now a snap. Just unscrew the inflator handle and attach hose. Cleaning and replacing the inflator is now a 30 second screw on/screw off affair. Finally you can disassemble the Zeagle inflator to access and clean or replace the actual valve mechanism. The one time this valve began to get slow, I removed the valve with an allen wrench, took it out and soaked in warm water/vinegar solution, reinstalled the valve, and it was like new. I have been very happy with this solution for about a year now. Mine happens to be connected to a Dive-Rite wing, however it is a universal fit so it should fit most inflator hoses. YMMV. Thanks to CuracaoJ for the idea!

Strip, clean, reassemble and enjoy the rest of my holiday.

Actually, the Zeagle uses an automotive Schrader valve core under that allen wrench, which is very cheap and easy to replace. You can buy them for about a quarter a piece.

17084_1_.jpg

The tool to remove it is about $5 or so...

LVMSyv186PvLTc3gnnyr6LAKVbI06oblKCPkZKdSlnXK2omp9bcxHGNd_OX18AU1deElEjh2eGwvmeyVXG-sxJ8JDmD5SGczQqlVvNtFT3SCd8rfzqs-khtizsxioapsPQF_i0TLbZt3vcpuBR47RsFmj9G_

I replace mine once a year or before any big trip. Just don't over tighten the core into the plastic housing.

But to answer the OP, if I failed to upkeep my equipment, I would disconnect and inflate orally.

I'd try and fix it. Sometimes, passing fresh water through it is enough. Other times, a simple disassembly and cleaning will solve the problem. In any case, you're not going to any worse than when you started :)

It pays to keep a spare with you in your save-a-dive kit.

Put in a pail/bowl of very warm water and exercise it to see if it free's up. That failing then what TS&M said or disconnect it.

I would carefully examine other people's equipment on the trip. Assuming I found a "match", I would just switch them out late on the first night the problem developed..

I would carefully examine other people's equipment on the trip. Assuming I found a "match", I would just switch them out late on the first night the problem developed..

That is to funny but I would expect that out of you!
That sounds like my buddies.

Actually I have done all the above or afore mentioned options.
Usually I find a small grain or two of sand in the connection occasionally a o-ring.
On a live a-board my gear would have new o-rings replaced before I set foot on the boat.
I am just that way and carry enough save a dive to change them out several times.

While I assisted training divers we swamped many a rig out while in the water with students who had sticky inflators.
You get used to orally inflating and or diss or reconnecting inflator hose.
Any challenging or very deep dives with gear acting up means altered dive plan or set the dive out!
Life is to short to not be safe and conservative on serious dives!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

strip it, clean it reassemble. If that did not work - option c. power inflater is just a convenience. Oral inflation works just fine. A pain if you are carrying a camera but would not stop me from diving.

Unless it was a hose tear, I would fix it. I carry the parts that are replaceable on every trip, and on an expensive and dive intensive liveaboard trip or long haul trip to remote destinations, I carry two sets. That was not always the case. But at some point it is worth while to (a) own your own gear, (b) know how to service and repair it, and (c) have the parts and tools to do so if necessary. On a trip to Beqa in Fiji a few years back, a diver from England was with us. He was having fits with a valve on his low pressure inflater, and was trying to "make" a replacement when I mentioned I had a good parts supply. It turned out I had on to fit his gear. We still communicate regularly. If I didn't have the parts and tools though, I would have done what you did.
DivemasterDennis

I have never run into this, but thanks for posting.

I am going to investigate my options for adding tools to fix it, or a spare into my save a dive kit :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom