what would you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finding a mentor can be a great idea, one that you both should appreciate. Initial OW training is sometimes woefully inadequate for independent dive planning and execution.

Now, if you're talking about a long weekend with diver Fabio while hubby stays home to watch the dog.... we'll need a new thread for that one.

I empathize with the OP. When I got certified, my husband (who had learned to dive years earlier, and had recertified with me) refused to respect my wishes with regards to the dives we did and how we did them. So I told him I was going to dive with other people, and for six months, we went to dive sites together but dove with other folks as buddies. I needed someone who would reliably stay where I could see him, and Peter wanted someone who was more free-form. We have since, through a lot of training and experience, moved toward one another so that we can dive together . . . but periodically, we still fight about the same things.

I think there is nothing wrong with doing a few dives with a more experienced mentor/instructor/guide, until you feel a bit more solidly on your feet. Marital dynamics come into play underwater, just as they do on land, and your life will be easier if you are diving with someone where the relationship is more strictly defined. You can eventually start diving together, once both of you feel good doing the dives you want to do.

before diving with anyone I like to do some shallow dives first. Why not dive shallow dives with ops that put guides in the water so that way you have the experienced diver and also get to hone your skills with your hubby.

My OW class was a half-joke. We weren't taught how to plan a dive, aside from some calculations on the dive table. I wouldn't be diving WITHOUT my husband, just paired with someone who's not going to be so quick to push the "elevator up button" at the first sign of distress. I need to learn how to deal with unfortunate/unexpected situations underwater (yes, this includes being panicked). I really want to see how an expirienced diver plans. It was just an idea. I don't think I'll have a problem with the dive. I just think it's more for a level of comfort. I do plan on rereading the section on planning again since that area was seriously lacking in my class. :(

bracko:6231966:
nothing like having a domestic while 10m under water :eek:

I was Dive mastering an AOW class during their deep dive when I saw one of those happen... Work your skills till you are comfortable so to avoid this situation.

On lake Travis during the summer the water will be warm and viz should be a lot better. Also not being stuck in one silty spot for skills will make a huge difference. Your situation is not all that uncommon. I often dive with new divers while working charters, and couples do split up to dive with people with
more experience sometimes. Lots of good loot to be found thanks to the party barges too!
Laketravisscuba.com

I was Dive mastering an AOW class during their deep dive when I saw one of those happen... Work your skills till you are comfortable so to avoid this situation.

on my AOW course there was a domestic on the night dive between the couple I was a student with.

the course consisted of me, the couple and their daughter, who was.... the instructor.

awkward weekend, yes... yes it was. (fun though)

So, I am a very new diver. So is my husband. I told him I want to buddy with someone more expirienced for my first few dives. His feathers got all ruffled. Would you be ok having you SO buddy with someone else? Also, as an expirienced diver, would you be ok buddying with someone new? I could be way off, but I want someone to tell me when I am doing something wrong, and hubby doesn't have enough (any) expirience.

Thanks!

Well, there's more than just a lack of experience to consider ... when you're in a relationship with someone, they can't tell you what you're doing wrong. The natural tendency isn't to take it as helpful advice, but as criticism. Your tendency to want/need this person's acceptance puts a whole different spin on what they're trying to tell you. That's just human nature.

I had to practically push her there, but when my (then) wife got certified I rather quickly insisted that she find other people to dive with. I loved diving with her, but also realized that as long as I was her dive buddy she was perfectly content relying on me for things that every diver really should be doing for themself ... and a dependent diver is something you really want to avoid either becoming or cultivate in someone else.

Relationships can easily lead to stress or dependency underwater ... and both are to be avoided. So while diving with your SO is a wonderful thing, it can lead to less than wonderful diving habits and experiences. Diving with other people ... particularly those more experienced than you ... can help you develop both better skills and more self-sufficiency.

One way to do that is to cultivate a circle of diving friends who you can "share" diving experiences with. Mix it up and dive with each other's buddies from time to time. You'll be amazed at what you learn from the experience of diving with different people.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I dive with my wife as my dive buddy. We have taken all our classes together OW, AOW, Specialties, etc. We make a good team but we often have some minor "issues". It is a good idea to build your experience together but have others, be it a DM or a dive group, work you both as well.

As you both get more comfortable in the water and more proficient as divers you will become better dive buddies.

So, I am a very new diver. So is my husband. I told him I want to buddy with someone more expirienced for my first few dives. His feathers got all ruffled. Would you be ok having you SO buddy with someone else? Also, as an expirienced diver, would you be ok buddying with someone new? I could be way off, but I want someone to tell me when I am doing something wrong, and hubby doesn't have enough (any) expirience.
If you feel you need to dive with someone more experienced then either hire a private dm/instr or take a continue education -advance ,adventure or speciality class. Once you were certified this really should not be an issue that you would not comfortable diving with husband.
To ask an experienced diver to dive with you may be ok, but as an instructor if asked to perform that service, even if I was just there as a passenger, I would have to refuse as to accept any type of increased liability with out pay annoys me to no end. I pay to be on the boat just as others do and to accept responsibility for someone I do not know and is new would detract from MY dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom