what would you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a rank beginner, I know that I'm barely safe enough to scuba dive with a dive master

This really is sad. As instructors/educators, we are SUPPOSED to produce students who are safe enough to dive independently, under the conditions in which they got certified. I do remember my own OW class -- I did not feel safe enough to dive without an instructor at the end of it, so I went straight into AOW. But after that class, Peter and I went to Maui (where the diving is MUCH easier in a lot of ways) and by the end of that week-long trip, we were out shore diving by ourselves. Now, as I have written, I went on to dive with other people, but it wasn't because I didn't think we were SAFE to dive alone, it was because we had differences of opinion on how the dives should be executed.

It's a shame that someone feels they can't do tropical diving with a DM -- and even more disturbing, because, in the end, what (other than navigation) is the DM going to be able to do for you?

BOOOO!!!

:no:

It is NO ONE's responsibility to keep YOU safe except for YOU!!!! If you are diving with the idea that the DM is going to take care of you (things), you have the wrong mindset.

When one dives with a more experienced diver, DM or otherwise, the calming influence and the smooth skill execution is helpful, but you must NEVER think that it is someone else' job to keep you safe. With that attitude, when things go pear-shaped, the diver will panic if the "keeper" isn't immediately available. Rely on yourself!

Seriously?? What you say is true, but in this case, Jes is seeking advise and information before she even gets in the water. I think that's pretty responsible. All she's asking for is someone to improve her skills and knowledge, not follow her and her husband around with a 100' octo.

Jes, if you guys find yourselves in Alaska, look me up. I'll take you diving anytime.

And if I may, I'd like to go off on a tangent:

I think the first chapter of every OW scuba manual needs to be entitled "RELAX AND ENJOY". Holy cow people: What happened to our sport? Has it really gotten to the point where every dive and fin stroke needs to be critiqued to the point of exhaustion? I don't know about the rest of you, but I got into diving because I wanted to have fun and I was filled with the wonderment of an alien world.

Jes, let me spare you some suspense..... You and your husband are going to make mistakes. Hopefully, they're not the big ones that kill you, but you are going to goof up now and then. I've been diving for 30 years, thirty with a T. And guess what? I still make mistakes from time to time and I am still learning from them.

A couple months ago I was doing a body recovery and one of our divers jumped in the water with fins on that were about 2 sizes too big. When he hit the water, the fin flipped up to his shin and the strap got rolled down to the arch of his boot. Needless to say, he needed the tender to hold up his leg and fix his fin situation. Nobody got pissed or super critical. Instead, we told him that the OPM(Operations and Procedures Manual) states that all one-finned divers have to serve coffee to the team. That and we called him one-fin for the rest of the day. At the end of the day, it was a lesson and laugh.

On another occasion, one of our guys got the lift straps of a body bag wrapped around the victims leg. The divers had to spend a few extra minutes untangling the body and the straps, but otherwise, no harm and no fowl.

How many dives will it take before you become proficient at every skill? A lot. So take your time, enjoy what you're doing and have fun. 1oo dives from now you and your husband will be answering some of the questions on this board. You'll also be flipping an old guy **** because he forgot his fins and can't remember how to tie a proper bowline.

Until then, please, Be Safe.....

If the OP dives through boat ops, the DM(s) will take care of things. It's usually six divers to a DM. One boat trip I did, two DMs got in the water because we were nine divers.

!!
Not always the case Mark. Particularly here in Palm Beach.

Mine would have been ruffled too, since my GF & I trained together. We even hold hands UW to not drift apart when there's current.

I'd just add this - your first dives will be with dive ops, not "solo" or "duo" dives without a team or a guide. You'll never be alone.

The "crew" makes sure they know everyone's expertise level, and will stay close to the beginners. It's the DM's job to keep you safe and under a watchful eye.

You want a buddy that values your life MORE than his own, who better than your Significant Other ???

To not be too serious, your buddy is simply the person you keep in your POV and the first to share air with. Beginner dives, you'll be forced up to the surface one 2/3 of your air is used up, whoever gets to 2/3 use first.

Typically when I'm at 800 PSI my GF is at 1200, we're forced up to the safety stop.

On boat dives, the first is deep, up to 100', and the second is up to 60'. You'll probably just be UW for 30 minutes on that first dive. Women have better bottom times on average, cut short by their "hubbies".

You make a lot of broad statements. I don't know where the OP is diving but my first dives were not with guides or DMs. Well, technically my first post OW dives (2 of them) were with "guides" but I found my own buddy and did my own buddy checks etc. The guides looked back occasionally but certainly weren't able to "take care of things" if something went wrong. That is a dangerous assumption to make.

Every dive since then has been entirely without any guide or DM anywhere near me.

There are also a lot of places where the boat just drops you off... you're on your own once you hit the water.

If the OP dives through boat ops, the DM(s) will take care of things. It's usually six divers to a DM. One boat trip I did, two DMs got in the water because we were nine divers.

For beginners, the buddy system is part of the learning process, to stay in constant contact. Learning better signaling, not swimming off on your own, etc.

However I've had it good, my son is a DM, and I paid his trip & dives to come along and supervise his Dad & his GF into not killing themselves (lol) by doing something silly.

So yes, having a "personal" supervisor is good and reassuring, but it would be for both of you, not just one diver. Dive as a trio.

* When our air got to 2/3 used (I was first) both of us had to go up. My son got to stay UW as long as the guide was down, oh, an extra 30 minutes !!!

:warning: This is only true of most of the islands, and island resorts!! When diving in Florida, most of the ops don't put dive-masters in the water with you they stay on the boat. YOU have to hire a guide if needed!!! And when you are a single diver your assigned buddy may or may not come up when you get low on air. I'm relatively new to diving, and as a single diver, I've done plenty of safety stops alone. I've found that is common practice on shallow dives.

Last edited:
I dive in a club, i.e. about 20 divers, some 8 of which are regularly my dive partner with no particular preference as to who on any given occasion. My daughter and I dive a fair bit as just the 2 of us, but when with other club members we usually make a point of not diving together. Being with someone else is good variety, maybe a chance to learn or notice something new in skills, or style, or equipment. Most importantly partening with someone gives you a little extra in common, a little more to make you better aquainted above the water. It's more fun when you are always generally increasing how well the entire group knows each other, and it seems like mixing the partners brings the steadiest increase in the skills and confidence of the newer divers.

I feel sorry for newly minted divers with only commercial oportunities to dive. I got to spend maybe my first 20 dives partnered with or at least vaguely under the supervision of more experienced divers, all certified instructors. I really would not have appreciated making sea dives that first summer with someone as inexperienced as myself. Sure I probably would have been fine, but I would have had a lot less peace of mind, a lot less fun, and probably seen a lot less too.

Yikes... My ex husband and I got certified together and we dove exclusively with each other until our LA County advanced class and when I did my instructor certification as I was walking into the ocean without him as my buddy the first time I honestly felt like I was missing a piece of gear (he was a jealous type and didn't want me diving or doing anything else with anyone but him) that being said I can see how your hubby got ruffled as though he wasn't a good enough buddy for you. Taking an advanced class together would be good so you can both get more experience and feel more comfortable with your own skills and I would highly suggest a rescue class - it will help build confidence in your own skills and in his skills (let's face it - you want to dive with a buddy you feel confident/safe with, etc.) Enjoy it's a great sport and sharing it with the one you love - nothing better but a girls day out diving is great too so hopefully you two can find some buddies that you both enjoy diving with besides each other.

Reactions: D_B
Broad...I like that description. Plus a big BOOO from Jax ! OMG, I feel so lucky :)

So what some have ascertained, yes, we've always dove with guides, that I paid to be responsible for us. We've dived with a resort in Mexico, two different boat ops in Maui HI and through the LDS. Always, there's a DM that coordinates and checks up on everyone.

Of course we have learned to do our own safety checks of gear and handling UW.

If the OP dives through boat ops, the DM(s) will take care of things.

The "crew" makes sure they know everyone's expertise level, and will stay close to the beginners. It's the DM's job to keep you safe and under a watchful eye.

BOOOO!!!

:no:

It is NO ONE's responsibility to keep YOU safe except for YOU!!!! If you are diving with the idea that the DM is going to take care of you (things), you have the wrong mindset.

When one dives with a more experienced diver, DM or otherwise, the calming influence and the smooth skill execution is helpful, but you must NEVER think that it is someone else' job to keep you safe.
With that attitude, when things go pear-shaped, the diver will panic if the "keeper" isn't immediately available. Rely on yourself!
I'm glad someone pointed this out

You have been given good advice, restudy, and dive with another skilled individual, the 3 of you if that is possible .. having a buddy that is very skilled , can be comforting (key word here) setting your mind at ease and allows you to concentrate on your dive planing and diving , picking up good traits along the way

Makes complete sense to me, but then I'm neither jealous nor insecure. You might look toward taking the next level instruction together and concentrate on team skills. I recommend that you target you training progression, for now, at something like Fundies or Essentials, where you will really learn how to work together as a team.
BOOOO!!!

nonononono.gif

When one dives with a more experienced diver, DM or otherwise, the calming influence and the smooth skill execution is helpful, but you must NEVER think that it is someone else' job to keep you safe. With that attitude, when things go pear-shaped, the diver will panic if the "keeper" isn't immediately available. Rely on yourself!
I rather disagree with Jax. When I dive with a buddy, we are a team, we enter the water together, we make the dive together and we leave the water together. If I have a problem I expect them the help me, if they have a problem they can count on me to help them. Period, no ifs, ands, of buts. As teammates we are responsible for each other and we are glad to be so. I will not dive any other way.

As far as hiring a DM or an Instructor to "take care of you," fine, if that's what you want to do, I also have no problem with someone undertaking that duty for pay ... but you're not going to learn as much, or as quickly, as you would taking a team oriented program with your regular buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom