What's a guy gotta do to dive with sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dad has a great video of the Nassau Sewart's cove dive. He and a buddy were being cheap though - they went down on their own 1 dive site over from the shark feed and then swam over. Really cool videos from that.

If your only going to Nassau then Stuart Cove is a possibility. If you make it to Freeport ask to dive the Pretender wreck dive site. There are almost always some reef sharks hanging out at that location. There should be plenty of youtube footage shot there.

quikcolin, Sorry to be of no help. When I see my first one I'll look like your avatar.

Beqa Lagoon Fiji has an incredible shark dive. Nurse sharks, lemons, bulls, reef sharks, and - on the dive we did with Aqua Trek - the 14' Tiger Shark. Granted, you're not heading to Fiji this trip, but you might consider it for a future trip. In our opinion, the shark dive alone made the trip worth it, and it was only one day of a whole week of wonderful diving.

I like your odds of seeing sharks in the Bahamas. I've been there a few times and it seems like I saw sharks on most dives, not just the organized shark dives.

A lot of places can bring sharks in with bait. If you want to see sharks behaving naturally, ie., in the absence of bait or lure, then Cocos Island, the Galapagos, Palau, and Rangiroa are the most prominent destinations.

From Cocos:

cocos_hammerhead7.jpg

cocos_hammerhead12.jpg

cocos_hammerhead15.jpg

Fantastic photos Vlad.

My favorite shark dives are The Hyde in North Carolina..probably one of my favorite dive sites period. I could do it all day/every day.

And the shark dives in Grand Bahama.

My wife and I do not go on shark dives where feeding occurs. Lots of people do, and that's there business. In order to dive with sharks, you need to go where the sharks are. In the Carribean, that is almost everywhere. We have enjoyed nurse sharks in Mexico south of Playa del Carmen, have seen lots of grey reef sharks in the southern Bahamas without feeding them, often see white tipped reef sharks in Hawaii (on Maui at a site called Mala Pier you will see them on nearly every dive), hammerhead sharks off Molokai, and regularly see nurse sharks off Key Largo. We saw sharks in Beqa Lagoon, Fiji, while NOT on the shark dive. Finally, I did see a large tiger shark at Molkini Crater, Hawaii back wall a couple of years back. None of these was a shark feeding encounter. Just saying.
DivemasterDennis

If you want to go some place in North America you are assured of seeing sharks. Go to Hatteras N. Carolina. When there, we dive with Capt. J.T. Capt JT's Wreck Diving Site - Diving Hatteras NC and Virginia Beach VA who runs a 6 pack. He was in the book divers down. Great boat if he lets you on. There are many places to travel to if you'd like to see sharks naturally as others have said. Cocos, Galapagos, Fiji, for sure. There are places in the Bahamas that feed shark other than stuarts cove and you can google them. To be assured of seeing Sand tiger sharks in North America so you don't have a huge distance to travel, I'd go to Hatteras. I saw sharks on every dive we did.

Shark Encounter 8-25-06 Hatteras - YouTube

Click on the link above to see a 10 foot Sand Tiger Shark charging me on a wreck in Hatteras, North Carolina on 8-25-2006. I had just finished filming a moray eel on a 600' wreck, middle of the deck, nothing around me but space, at 90'fsw with good visibility. My wife Cathy suddenly spun me around and all I saw were teeth coming at me. I immediately turned on my camera. The shark didn't turn until I shoved the camera at it which was way to close at one ft away. This took less than 3 seconds for the shark to cover about 25'. If I wasn't facing the shark I'm not sure what would've happened. My wife says she saved my life, I say she put the biggest piece of meat between her and the shark. If you slow the speed you can see a Remora under the shark and see the clouds of fish in the background to see how large the shark was. Also note the pectoral fins are angled downward which indicates the shark is in a aggressive mode. When the fins are out straight they are relaxed. Divers especially and people in general are not a food source for sharks and are bitten 99.9% of the time due to mistaken identity. This shark probably didn't read the same book we've been reading. Yes, I did go diving on the same wreck the next day and I saw at least 6 more sharks. They pretty much ignored us as they should. I'm pretty sure I saw the same shark who just cruised on by me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom