What's a guy gotta do to dive with sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could always just dive with a lot of bloody fish on a line trailing behind you. Something will happen...Not sure what, but SOMETHING will.

Thanks for everyone's replies. Rather than address you each individually, please accept a big group "Thank you" :wink:

Well it looks like we've finalized our plans. We're doing the following dives while on our cruise.

Nassau - diving the "Lost Blue Hole", which I understand has sharks frequenting the area regularly.
St. Thomas - The WITT Shoal II and Miss Opportunity wrecks
Grand Turk - one of their ledge dives.... I'm hoping the deep water meeting the shallower waters might bring a shark or two in (fingers crossed).

What I've learned is if you want do do a shark dive, you need to skip the cruise and track the sharks down. One of the islands in Turks and Caicos has outstanding, natural, none feeding shark diving - which I hope to do one day in the near future. Here is the link if anyone is interested...

Shark Diving in the Bahamas, Dive with Caribbean Reef Sharks

Also, it sounds like N. Carolina is another great spot for sharks - which is perfect as I have family there!

I will be reviving this thread when I return from our trip (May 5th - 14th) and hope to have a video of sharks to show everyone! I just ordered a Backscatter housing for my GoPro Hero 2, so again - fingers crossed!

Thanks again everyone!

From what I understand, Stewarts Cove is the only "shark dive" operator in Nassau - they have a monopoly going on or something.
Stuart Cove's and Bahama Divers are the only two options there.
I had no idea there were sharks in North Carolina?!?! My uncle lives there - might be a good excuse to visit!
Sand Tigers on the wrecks:

We dove French Cay in the TCI last year. 2-3 Sharks on every single dive over 2 days. I almost landed on one one jump I made. Most were 5-6' reef sharks - saw one bigger shark but he was deep down the wall. All in a natural environment while they feed up the wall. At one site there was a smaller spotted (leopard?) shark that hung around near the mooring - I saw him at least twice. At night the bigger pelagics hit the baitfish in the boat lights. Coming back from a night dive the sharks were hitting the pelagics 120' away near the front of the boat.

Caicos Adventures that you referenced above goes out there - it's a 45min. trip from Provo. We did it on the Explorer liveaboard. Here's a link to Mike Southards trip report from a couple years ago: http://www.awoosh.com/Saudio/Saudio_Turks&Caicos.html

Last edited:
DiverSteve - I really like that video! Illustrates that these "monsters" of the deep aren't the flesh tearing, senseless killing machines the media, and movies like Jaws portray. I can't wait to dive with them... if by chance I don't see on this trip, I will def. be sure to take a shark specific scuba trip as soon as possible.

---------- Post added April 4th, 2012 at 05:47 PM ----------

And crunch a plastic water bottle between your hands while you do - as long as you have hands...lol. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sh...-crunching-plastic-bottle-attract-sharks.html

Edit - example: LiveLeak.com - Diver Has Close Encounter With Shark!!

LOL - that was just a headbutt... no teeth, I think that's common for ticked off sharks - curious sharks (I'm sure the noise of the bottle was irritating lol)

Hi.

I am probably going on vacation to Puerto Rico this Summer. Was curious if you found a place there to dive with sharks? Looking forward to doing the same :)
I heard once that you could dive and feed sharks there (cage dive) but can't find anything about it on the internet.

Greetings,
Tamara

Mandalay bay's shark reef. Awesome dive, expensive, but with all of the sharks, awesome.

From what I understand, Stewarts Cove is the only "shark dive" operator in Nassau - they have a monopoly going on or something.

I've googled the HELL out of this topic, this was my last resort lol

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2012 at 12:15 PM ----------

LOL thanks again DiverSteve... I have spoken to Bahama Divers and they have the Lost Blue Hole on Monday (which is the day we'll be in Nassau)... sounds like that is the the best chance I'll have to see a shark (or a bunch of them - fingers crossed)

What about other (none shark dives) in Grand Turk? Any suggestions on operators, or dive sights?

Thanks again!

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2012 at 12:16 PM ----------

I had no idea there were sharks in North Carolina?!?! My uncle lives there - might be a good excuse to visit!

What is the water temp like??

http://youtu.be/pjcKMtJ5ULg

In the summer when the Gulf Stream moves in its 72 top to bottom. It's hardy diving though. Expect two hours to the wrecks and two hours back. Not your typical Caribbean dives. And seas can be rough. That said I've gone back 5 years in row to dive NC. It's the only location I make a yearly trek.

Back
Top Bottom