What's in your thigh pocket and where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, finding them really helpful!

What about really small things like a spare reel brake and reel ball? Do you just leave those loose at the bottom of the pocket (seems like a bad idea) or carry them in a small baggie (seems like they could be tough to get to with thick gloves)? Any suggestions on carrying small items that you really can't attach to a double ender/bungee loop?

It's actually really easy to do -- take the length of bungie/cord that will make a good sized loop and leave you with a couple of inches extra. Tie an overhand knot to form the loop. Pull the "tail" of the cord through the grommet, then tie whatever knot you choose to keep the cord from slipping back through the grommet. Then cut off any extra, and burn the end. All done!

You might try a stopper knot here for both the inside and outside knots. A stopper knot is used for exactly that purpose on a boat, to keep the bitter end of a line from slipping through a hole. Oh, like all sailing knots, it's also easy to untie if you ever need to.

Last edited:
I use the plain Overhand Knot for a stopper knot. It's very easy to remember. If the knot isn't big enough with a single line (on the outside of the grommet), you can always let both ends of the line stick out and tie the stopper with two lines together.

What about really small things like a spare reel brake and reel ball? Do you just leave those loose at the bottom of the pocket (seems like a bad idea) or carry them in a small baggie (seems like they could be tough to get to with thick gloves)? Any suggestions on carrying small items that you really can't attach to a double ender/bungee loop?
I don't carry a spare brake ball or screw. I don't think having a spare screw would be a bad idea however, I've lost them before. If I were to carry one, I would put it in a small pouch, and clip the pouch off.

The Halcyon pockets have a zippered pouch in the top flap, perfect for car keys, spare O-rings, wingnuts, or whatever. (What is a reel brake, spare or otherwise?)

Do you really need those things?

Good question and worth thought on my part. After thinking about it, the ball, no, the brake, yes.

If there's a situation where the ball is lost (line cut/untied), I doubt I'd be able to tie it with thick gloves and put a ball back on.

The brake, well, I ask because I once grabbed my reel and went to open the brake and lo and behold, no brake (I was lucky it hadn't unraveled, so it was probably just recently that it fell out).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom