What's in your thigh pocket and where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More often than I care too mention, my key set including my truck's electronic plastic key is in my thigh pocket. :(

Almost for me. Something was nagging at me one time and as I thought every step of getting "dressed" I realised it was the fob for my car. Now I have a piece of cave line tied to only the key, so that's my memory jog take only the key.

Well, the answer to what goes in which pocket has already been posted.

Everything that goes in my pockets has a snap attached to it -- either a boltsnap or a double ender. I use double-enders, of course, on spools, but also on my backup mask (because if you deploy a mask, it is irritating to have a snap attached to it). The snaps are clipped into loops of cord (I don't use bungie).

How you tie the cord or bungie IS important -- Danny Riordan didn't like the way I had done it, when I took Cave 1, because I had tied the cord in a big circle that meant some of it was on the outside of the pocket. (Imagine you are sitting and looking at the pocket from the top -- pass the cord through the grommet and tie it in a knot. You now have a loop, part of which is IN the pocket, but part of which is outside.) He told me things would migrate out of the pocket and catch on line. I thought he was nit-picking, until the second or third time a snap caught on the line because it was sticking out of my pocket. Then I retied them.

The new way is to tie a knot in the end of the cord. Pass the cord through the grommet so that the knot is on the outside. NOW tie a knot in the cord, making a loop that is entirely within the pocket, and such that the inside knot keeps the cord from sliding out through the grommet. Now stuff will stay inside.

If you are carrying a lot of small things (as with GI3's pocket contents) it can be useful to put a loop in the front and back grommets, and separate the things so that, when you pull up one loop, you only pull up some of the pocket items. For example, I keep my car key on the rear loop, because it is something I am NEVER going to need during a dive, and I'd just as soon it never came out of the pocket and risked being lost.

I stack my pocket contents, to some degree, as well. My backup mask is something I rarely need (so far, never) and it lives in the bottom of my pocket. Things I need more often (like double enders, leashes) live up top.

Just makes life a little easier.

The new way is to tie a knot in the end of the cord. Pass the cord through the grommet so that the knot is on the outside. NOW tie a knot in the cord, making a loop that is entirely within the pocket, and such that the inside knot keeps the cord from sliding out through the grommet. Now stuff will stay inside

Photo?

Here are a couple of photos. (Please note that the specific material and the specific knots aren't what I have in my pockets -- this was done quickly for general illustration purposes.)

The way I originally did it:

Pocket-Looped.jpg

The way Danny wanted it done:

Pocket-Knotted.jpg

I like that knot too. Does it have a name or do you have instructions on how to tie it?

I normally keep an SMB/spool in my left pocket, with the double ender clipped onto a piece of bungee running through the bottom grommets. The trunk key to my Jeep goes on the double ender where it's clipped to the SMB and spool, until I become un-lazy and get another combination lock for my trunk.

In my right pocket I keep wetnotes and a spare mask, but they aren't bungeed or clipped in because I rarely use that pocket or it's contents. Most of the time I'm just slipping a shell in there and I forget about it until the end of the dive. But I'm starting to consider place bungee in there and clipping things off: that's my emergency stuff and I'd hate to need it and not have it.

Peace,
Greg

Yep, I like Danny's way, too.

I think I'll stick with bungee because if it's ability to hold the loop, but I will attach it like the Doctor showed us.

It's actually really easy to do -- take the length of bungie/cord that will make a good sized loop and leave you with a couple of inches extra. Tie an overhand knot to form the loop. Pull the "tail" of the cord through the grommet, then tie whatever knot you choose to keep the cord from slipping back through the grommet. Then cut off any extra, and burn the end. All done!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom