What's the coldest WET SUIT dive ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FreeFloat:
Everything he said.

My coldest from last year (well technically Feb 2004) was a Lock dive 45 minutes at 32°F, 8' max depth in swiftly moving water. The actual scuba dive was 35 minutes but I went back in afterwards for 10 more minutes to play around because I wasn't cold yet.

The deepest and coldest I've been was to 95' in 34°F water in early spring on the Lillie Parsons. My buddies wasnted to demonstrate to me that wetsuits get cold at depth. I can recall not feeling any colder at 95' than I was at 50' (I may have already been about as cold as I could get), but there was also the fact that it was my second dive that day, and about 35 minutes long.

My shortest coldest dive? On Lock 21 - wind was just rockin' that day and it was very 'crisp'. I got chilled before getting in and after 10 minutes I turned the dive, and after 16 minutes I was borderline hypothermicm, and practically wanted to climb into my truck's engine to thaw out. I learned never to let myself get chilly before starting a wetsuit dive.......
Not to mention your 100th dive...

James Goddard:
Not to mention your 100th dive...
LOL

True........... but the question was about wetsuit diving, not "no-suit" diving, so I refrained from dragging that into the thread.......... :wink:

You know... I did a pool repair a few years ago. The temp was @ 45 or so and I thought I was gonna die in that 3 mil with no hood. I have a dry suit now for diving the caves here in Florida and am looking forward to doing some cold water diving with you guys some time!

NetDoc:
You know... I did a pool repair a few years ago. The temp was @ 45 or so and I thought I was gonna die in that 3 mil with no hood. I have a dry suit now for diving the caves here in Florida and am looking forward to doing some cold water diving with you guys some time!
A drysuit for diving caves certainly makes sense since you'd be on doubles, but what is the coldest you've been in in the caves? I've not done caves myself, but did do some Cenotes in the middle of Jan last year in Mexico. Water was still 75F, which is definitely right for a 3mm.

Warren_L:
A drysuit for diving caves certainly makes sense since you'd be on doubles, but what is the coldest you've been in in the caves? I've not done caves myself, but did do some Cenotes in the middle of Jan last year in Mexico. Water was still 75F, which is definitely right for a 3mm.
I would tend to agree....... there's cold, then there's cold.

Warren, post some of the pics of your Sunday dive for the Doc.........:D

Florida springs stay at 68 degrees year round. But, when you are down for a LONG time, you can really get chilly.

FreeFloat:
I would tend to agree....... there's cold, then there's cold.

Yes it is rather relative ... I got a chuckle last year about this time when Snowbear came down for some diving. The water temp was about 49 degrees F. As we were getting out after the dive she casually mentioned how this warm-water diving was so nice ... no ice-cream headache ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NetDoc:
Florida springs stay at 68 degrees year round. But, when you are down for a LONG time, you can really get chilly.

For My Cold Tolerance 68 degrees is a 3 mil with a hood. Coldest I've dove so far is 48 degrees, but I could possibly be breaking that one on new years. I dove in a 7mil onepiece with a hood in the 48 degree weather.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom