What's the craziest thing you ever found?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe a Pratt & Whitney R-2800 used in some WWII airplanes
It definitely could be. The engines from that era (even US vs. Japanese) are incredibly similar. But the R-2800 is by far the most likely.

Not me, but a guy I knew when I was stationed in Okinawa back in 96 found a flame thrower.
Here are two flamethrowers we've found in Okinawa.
IMG_5533.jpeg

Does the urn of human ashes I found in a local river count as crazy?
Have seen a couple of urns in Sydney at well known dive sites. Not sure if the person was a diver, but could have been a fisher.

In December 2022 I was diving in Sydney and found a sawn off 0.303 Lee Enfield rifle and ammunition. It was close to a swimming enclosure in an estuary on the southern side of Sydney. It was in perfectly good working order.

AS we have extremely strict firearm laws, I suspect that it was brought back from WWII by a person and held without a licence. The family inherited it when he died and they decided to get rid of it by throwing in the water. Could have been found by children as they swim in this area, so I took it ashore and then to the Police. Of course did not take it in with me when I entered the Police station, I did not want to get shot when I pulled it out of a bag! Next day the Police divers were there looking for anything else. Funny thing is the family could have just surrendered it to Police without any questions asked.

Lilli Pilli 5.jpg
Lilli Pilli 6.jpg

What is the craziest thing you ever found while scuba diving? I'm not scuba diving every day because I don't live on the beach but mine craziest thing would probably be a chunck of wood that is just laying in the sea. Let me know what's your craziest discovery (and from where you are. I'm from Croatia)!
My best friend and myself don't get much time off at the same time, so one day he showed up at my place in his work truck (ford ranger) to take a ride out to a local mining lake and do some off roading. Long story short it was about 10°F and sand had blown 50' onto the surface of the lake so the "shoreline" that we were following was actually ice over 35'+ of water. Needless to say the truck did not float. Later on that day at the bar telling our story our friend bet me I couldn't recover the truck. Challenge accepted I had just gotten open water certified 6 months ago and I had all the gear to make the recovery. 4 months later we went out to the lake to find the truck and navigation not being my strong suit I thought I knew where we lost the truck so I donned my gear and jumped in after about 20 minutes I thought I found it but turns out it was a 2 year old Range Rover. So Range Rover is craziest thing I ever found. A week later I brought my buddy back and he pointed out where the truck was. Five minutes later I found it at 37' on its roof(we really dodged a bullet that day). So we proceeded to fill a 350 gallon tank/tote with water and strapped it into the pickup bed then strapped it with 10,000lb straps and filled it with air and viola it floted, pulled it to the shore with a dingy and a 9.9hp outboard. Then we winched it out and my dad dragged me 3 miles home steering the truck in scuba gear with water pouring out and a mud line covering entire roof and upper cab. Anyone who saw knew what we did. Lots of beeps and honks on the way home. I won the bet.

I'm not sure if this is the craziest, but for me it was the weirdest.
Anyway, Back in the early 80s we were diving in some construction debris tunnels,-really very big (10' diameter) water pipes- and we found a tank, fully rigged with bc, regs, console, etc., Which contained about 1500 psi of air.
Even the local guys/friends of mine couldn't figure out how it got there. Many different theories! We left it in place and when we were done diving, called the cops who just said “ thanks, we'll check it out”.
Never found out what they did, if they did.

(I also believe I posted this in another similar thread a few years ago, sorry for the repeat.)

Far from being the weirdest, but is the most recent. On a beach dive yesterday we recovered an anchor and chain. We only had a small SMB when fulling inflated barely lifted the long part (yeah, technical term). That was some work, heavy...

Two interesting things in the Florida Keys one VERY HOT SUMMER DAY: A brand new 46" cocked and loaded teak spear gun, laying on the bottom in about 30 feet of water. WATER TEMP WAS AT LEAST IN HIGH 80's.

2. Not far from the spear gun, a new weight belt with 32 pounds of lead. I gave the gun to my dive buddy and I bounced back to the boat with the lead.
Was the speargun found in Kemp Channel south of the Overseas Highway?

Far from being the weirdest, but is the most recent. On a beach dive yesterday we recovered an anchor and chain. We only had a small SMB when fulling inflated barely lifted the long part (yeah, technical term). That was some work, heavy...
wait?! was this Ft. Laud? If not, we recovered an anchor and chain yesterday, too!

Back
Top Bottom