Whats the prob w/split fins again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fxholt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Apologies is this has been exhaustively covered somewhere, but why does everyone look down on split fins exactly? I fear that this is somehow a loaded question, but i just want to know. I have some bio fins and they seem pretty awesome.
Seems like all the elite people only wear those short black fins that navy divers use, and they say split fins are for newbies. whats the deal?

Well for rec diving I really haven't heard many reasons given against them.

When I have done courses beyond recreational diving they were highly discouraged for the following reasons:
-greater entanglement hazard
-not as effective when doing certain propulsion techniques such as frog kicking and back kicking
-silt things up more easily than paddles

Note to all who might read this: these are the reasons I was given by various instructors and other divers so take it up with them if you don't like the reasons, not me :D. I don't have an opinion on what I think as I couldn't care less what fins people use. I have used split fins and I hate them but that's just me.

They have limitations when compared to paddle or blade fins most notably finning against current. If this is not a worry then they work fine for most recreational diving needs...

Last edited:
Apologies is this has been exhaustively covered somewhere, but why does everyone look down on split fins exactly? I fear that this is somehow a loaded question, but i just want to know. I have some bio fins and they seem pretty awesome.
Seems like all the elite people only wear those short black fins that navy divers use, and they say split fins are for newbies. whats the deal?

They're only "elite" because they're promoted that way. "This fin makes you faster" "This fin lets you go backwards" "This fin lets you move without using your legs"

You might as well worry about what people think of your shoes or choice in soap. There's always going to be someone who tells you that your choice is crap and someone else who tells you that you choice was the result of divine knowledge.

A fin is a fin. if you're happy with it, and it works for you, that's all that matters.

Terry

Last edited:

There's nothing wrong with split fins ... I used a pair of Bio Fins for years, and loved them. When I decided to get into more aggressive dives requiring heavier loads and a variety of kicking styles, I decided that split fins weren't the best tool for that job.

But for basic recreational diving, there's nothing wrong with them ... they have some advantages and disadvantages ... just like everything else. If they work for you, enjoy them ... I sure did ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Split fins put less strain on ankle and knee joints. For divers with joint issues or who get frequent cramps in their legs from exertion, they are a good choice since they give these divers useful equipment to keep them diving comfortably.

Swimming with splits is quite effective for flutter kicks, but because it's nearly impossible to use them to swim backwards, "elite" divers like cave and wreck penetration divers find them a hindrance for the kind of diving they do, which may involve some backing up. Paddles give these divers the equipment they need to keep them diving safely.

Because flutter kicks tend to stir up sediment when the diver is close to the bottom, many proficient divers (and those who dive in silty places like the interiors of wrecks and in caves) prefer frog kicks. Splits are designed for flutters, so they are not as efficient as paddles for frog kicking. I bought a pair of splits years ago when I was first buying gear and did a huge amount of diving with them since they are very comfortable. I learned to do frogs and heli-turns and can generally maneuver very well in splits, with the notable exception of swimming backwards, but many divers who have learned those techniques in paddles just can't make them work in splits, so why switch? They are fully justified in sticking with what works for them--paddles.

I still dive both styles of fins, but I don't subscribe to the elitist put-downs of splits. They are perfectly fine fins for casual diving and great fins for those divers who have leg issues.

When I have done courses beyond recreational diving they were highly discouraged for the following reasons:
-greater entanglement hazard
-not as effective when doing certain propulsion techniques such as frog kicking and back kicking
-silt things up more easily than paddles

I'll take issue with the frog kick (not with SAS, she's too cool). I found splits just as fast; the same number of kicks too. I was stunned. This was snorkeling, and I was dropping my knees to keep the fins in the water coming forward. Would like to repeat my experiment on scuba.

Some people love splits. In particular if you have knee problems. They seem less fatiguing to me as well. I don't like how they handle though. Turns and precise positioning are much easier for me with a solid fin. I haven't figured out how to back up with a split either.

I have Tusa X-Pert Zoom split fins, and although i am only new to this. i have noticed it is very tiring to swim against a current in them. i will buy some of the Oms Monoprene Slipstream Fins and see how they compare with a variety of kicking styles. i would like to see where all this fin style drama comes from.

I used to use splits and they work really well for me when in the quarries or going along with classes on checkout dives but when I go with more experienced groups the splits just dont give me enough propulsion to keep up with groups which in most cases means they have to slow down or I have to finish the dive alone.

Splits for me at least did not work well at all in the open ocean with currents since to make any headway I had to kick like mad just to stay in place. I switched to the slingshots which for me has worked out really well. When in Cozumel I was almost the only diver who saw something he wanted to look at again and was able to go against the current with little effort.

I had done this same dive previous with splits and gave up after kicking hard to get back to my item to see and was unable to go forward.

Splits have their purpose but in my opinion and its only my opinion they are more suited to those slow relaxing dives with no currents

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom