Whats the prob w/split fins again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing is wrong with split fins. However, like tires for your car/truck there are a lot of choices, mis-conceptions, stories and reasons why people end up with the fin that makes them happy. Dive'em and have fun.

If you wear an Air 2 while wearing split fins, it's like crossing the streams. You'll summon the Stay-Puffed Marshmallow man and New York is doomed.

I used to use splits and they work really well for me when in the quarries or going along with classes on checkout dives but when I go with more experienced groups the splits just dont give me enough propulsion to keep up with groups which in most cases means they have to slow down or I have to finish the dive alone.

If you have to work hard to keep up with "more experienced groups", they're not all that experienced. The really experienced divers generally move the slowest.

Find yourself a good buddy and go as slow as you want.

Terry

wear what fins you like best

Last edited:
If you have to work hard to keep up with "more experienced groups", they're not all that experienced. The really experienced divers generally move the slowest.

Terry
Ditto!

Terry

LOL As I said this is the reason I always end up diving solo towards then end. I am a relaxing diver and am in it for relaxation. If the group decides to smoke me so be it :) And as for the buddy I am still working on it. just being landlocked makes it a challenge

Like many, I heard that you can't do a backwards frog kick in splits. But I know one assistant instructor here in Oregon who can fin backwards faster in his twinjets than I can in my stiff blades. Maybe I'm just not that good--although to be fair he is half my age . . .

-Bryan

If you really want to know the "issues," go to the fins forum, search for "split" and spend about 12 hours reading the comments, research, name-calling, insults, jokes, explanations, and so on.

Then pick out a pair of fins you like and dive in them.

I believe Shakespeare had just finished reading one of the split fin threads here when he wrote

"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing."

Borrow a pair and give them a shot. I don't dive them because I am a big guy, even more so when suited up for cold water. When I tried them, I felt that they did not give me the power to move through the water easily.

Lightweights probably don't have my issues with them and appreciate the maneuverability they are supposed to add.

As with most choices on dive gear, use what works for you and don't let yourself be swayed by the controversy.

True!! I was a die hard fan of split fins until I tried blades. I will never go back!!

Back
Top Bottom