Whats the prob w/split fins again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's really exhausting reading imaginative posts. For drysuit, over neoprene socks and wetsuit booties, Wenoka mothers 26" L 10" W, because they're the only ones that fit, like wood, legs sometimes unhappy. No problem. Backbeach or surf, Mares name scratched off, bit smaller, keep them strapped to my chest until I pull myself somewhere to put them on. No problem. Scubapro splits for currents and chasing my buddies to Fight Club, and to give my legs a rest and for climbing boat ladders, because they bend and twist out of the way. No problem. Jets much shorter, for old time diving, just bought some straps from dan@vintagescubasupply.com. No problem. Here it is. Diving without fins. Problem. So as not to appear the Ugly Australian I guess I'm just going to straddle the fence with a different fin on each foot. Might try that one day. Now I'm off to service my air 2, crack open my Koran, and see whats going on in the Hohouse. A fatwah on me.

:confused: Freeverse+weed+scubadiving=^^^

It's telegrahic. Not really so hard to "decipher". You just have to "read between the words" (apologies to knowone for butting in--hold the Fatwahs please):
<snip>
For drysuit diving, over neoprene socks and wetsuit booties, I use Wenoka fins. (those mothers are 26" L 10" W), because they're the only ones that fit with my drysuit boots; they feel like wood, and my legs are sometimes unhappy as a result. No problem. For Backbeach or surf entries, I use Mares fins that are so beat up that the name is scratched off; they're a bit smaller; I keep them strapped to my chest until I pull myself somewhere in the water/past the break to put them on. No problem. I wear Scubapro splits for diving in currents and chasing my buddies to Fight Club, and also to give my legs a rest; and they're also good for climbing boat ladders, because they bend and twist out of the way. No problem. The Jets I wear are much shorter, and I use them for old time diving; I've just bought some replacement straps from dan@vintagescubasupply.com. No problem. <snip>

base.jpg

SOMEONE SET UP US THE POST!

:eyebrow:

Apologies is this has been exhaustively covered somewhere, but why does everyone look down on split fins exactly?

Because you'll contract Syphilis and die a horrible nasty and very painfully slow death!

I'm not kidding. You will.

This weekend I was diving at Wreck Alley in San Diego. John Wagner was there and wouldn't you know it, with a couple of pair of Mantaray Fins. :wink:

Personally, I do not use split fins. I believe the most used sales pitch is air consumption. But I believe air consumption is a conglomerate of variables. Cold water, current, fatigue, disorientation, etc., all contribute. Although spit fins may enhance air consumption the variables seem numerous. Otherwise, when you need propulsion such as in a strong current the split fin will consume more air than less.

This weekend I was diving at Wreck Alley in San Diego. John Wagner was there and wouldn't you know it, with a couple of pair of Mantaray Fins. :wink:

Personally, I do not use split fins. I believe the most used sales pitch is air consumption. But I believe air consumption is a conglomerate of variables. Cold water, current, fatigue, disorientation, etc., all contribute. Although spit fins may enhance air consumption the variables seem numerous. Otherwise, when you need propulsion such as in a strong current the split fin will consume more air than less.

I heard depth contributes to air consumption. Not sure who said that. They mighta been crazy though.

:crafty:

Apologies is this has been exhaustively covered somewhere, but why does everyone look down on split fins exactly? I fear that this is somehow a loaded question, but i just want to know. I have some bio fins and they seem pretty awesome.
Seems like all the elite people only wear those short black fins that navy divers use, and they say split fins are for newbies. whats the deal?

Somewhere?!? :shakehead:

:search:

So if you dive splits and corrupt a female, which is likely because of the fins ...

... ummm, so you're saying it's OK if I dive on a corrupt female??? :D

Last edited:
I dive tusa x-pert zoom splits "stiffer compound" I was getting alot of double calf cramps wearing some mid 90's beauchat paddles I bought before I started to over think scuba gear. I tried my friends regular tusa splits and they felt really floppy, but my legs were happy, so I went with the stiffer compound. I can still frog kick in them, but helicopter turns, shuffle kicks, and reverse finning not so much, but they are fine for the majority of the diving I do. I recently "borrowed" my Dad's 80's sp jets for situations I have to worry about silt/needing alternative kicks. I have got my float line tangled in the splits. D'oh!

I just bought a pair of Hollis F1 fins, to replace my Atomic splits. The problem I have found in the splits is it hurts my crotch. Oh, the fins, not very good in current.

Back
Top Bottom