Whats the prob w/split fins again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... ummm, so you're saying it's OK if I dive on a corrupt female??? :D

If the young lady is already corrupted thou shalt make thy dives. She shall yield herself unto thee with great moaning and gnashing of teeth. Preparest thou for the raking of thy skin with her nails (finger and toe). At the moment of greatest passion thou shalt raise thine eyes unto me and exclaim- "Weeelll doggies! Them was some mighty fine vittles!" So sayest the lord. Elmer Chapter 6 verse 8-27b

I just bought a pair of Hollis F1 fins, to replace my Atomic splits. The problem I have found in the splits is it hurts my crotch. Oh, the fins, not very good in current.

You know you're 'sposed to wear 'em on your feet...yeah??

If the young lady is already corrupted thou shalt make thy dives. She shall yield herself unto thee with great moaning and gnashing of teeth. Preparest thou for the raking of thy skin with her nails (finger and toe). At the moment of greatest passion thou shalt raise thine eyes unto me and exclaim- "Weeelll doggies! Them was some mighty fine vittles!" So sayest the lord. Elmer Chapter 6 verse 8-27b

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

... damn ... hurts to laugh that hard right after dinner ...

Personally, I do not use split fins. I believe the most used sales pitch is air consumption.

I have never heard anybody claim that split fins improve air consumption (or that they increase it, either, for that matter), all else being equal--depth, exertion, etc. Can you document this sales pitch somehow? Cite a website that makes the claim? I'd be very interested in taking a look!

Ok...so I know I crossed the line and went to cave diving!! I could not take the splits with me!!! But when I could not do a frog kick with splits I learned the value of blades. I recently tried my splits in an ocean dive and I felt lost. My cave instructor taught me if your butt muscles hurt after a long day of diving you are using the correct muscles to fin, if your thigh or calf muscles hurt your are not.

Thanks for the link. That claim actually doesn't meet my "all else being equal" idea in that the ST ad links a reduction of exertion to a reduction of air consumption, but of course the fins are credited with a reduction of exertion, so the link between the fins and consumption is at least implied.

While most posts in this thread are reporting impressionistic evidence, there have been findings that split fins do in fact require less effort on the part of the diver to move a given distance in the water (based on distance and heart rate monitoring, for example, see this report, scroll down to the SP Twin Jets section). Just because a diver doesn't notice the effort in the leg muscles doesn't mean s/he's not moving efficiently, and I think that's the yardstick people often use to assess whether they're getting what they want in terms of propulsion. The effort needed by the leg muscles is not a good indicator of how effective the kick performance is. (As an analogy, a car with a hole in the muffler might sound like it's working harder and moving the car faster, but in fact the noise is a poor indicator of performance).

My own (admittedly impressionistic and unscientific) experience in diving against currents with any kind of fins is that it takes a lot more effort than diving with currents, and that this causes fatigue and higher air consumption. Furthermore, when diving against currents the tendency is to use big, wide fin strokes. These kind of fin strokes just don't work well with split fins, and even against a current a diver can get very good performance with splits if s/he sticks with smaller, quicker kicks. If a diver is wearing splits and tries to conquer a current with big fin strokes, s/he will be disappointed with the resulting performance.

I saw the Rodale's review years and years ago, and it's funny that the air consumption bit didn't even register, if it was in there, but I still remember the rest. Maybe because I've never had to worry much about consumption? I suppose a buyer will consider the "main sales pitch" to be the thing s/he is most interested in.

Last edited:
Figure they may be more effective on my hands, with the jets on my feet.

Ahhh...well that explains it! Just keep your hands off your crotch and you won't have any probs! :D

Because you'll contract Syphilis and die a horrible nasty and very painfully slow death!

I'm not kidding. You will.

That is not from split fins, it is from facing up under a girl doing the splits, unless you have an air2, ajacket BCD, a yellow snorkel and a spare air, in which case then you are correct.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom