Whats wrong with DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrpai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Ok here is a new one.

Frequently an outsider to DIR will criticize DIR. The result is flaming that the person doesn't know anything about DIR, their position is indefensible, and to go away until they have a real complaint.

So howabout we hear from the DIR side what they think could be improved or different in their DIR system. Non DIR people should remain silent as to avoid wars and listen to ideas for improvement from the DIR camp.

chrpai once bubbled...
So howabout we hear from the DIR side what they think could be improved or different in their DIR system.

uh... um... uh... I don't think I understand the question. Why would someone dive a system that they didn't agree with?

Spectre once bubbled...

uh... um... uh... I don't think I understand the question. Why would someone dive a system that they didn't agree with?

I think what the question ment is, what can you do to improve DIR in any way shape or form. In other words...Are there flaws or not and how can you make them better?

chrpai once bubbled... So howabout we hear from the DIR side what they think could be improved or different in their DIR system. Non DIR people should remain silent as to avoid wars and listen to ideas for improvement from the DIR camp.
I'd like to see a way of getting people to realize that equipment configuration is only a small part of the overall system.

JJ doesn't address equipment until chapter five of "Doing It Right".

If you read messages around here, you get the impression that equipment is the whole system and that there is only one equipment configuration that is DIR.

chrpai once bubbled...
]Non DIR people should remain silent as to avoid wars and listen to ideas for improvement from the DIR camp.
I guess you could classify some of these posts as just plain ignorance.

How about the way the question is asked? Ask instead of making a statement about what one thinks is correct. This thread alone implies that any thread started by a non DIR diver about DIR will end in a flame war.

btw, I have seen threads involving DIR and non DIR that get the basic quick reply, use the search button and don't waste our time. Those answers I consider bad answers when the person is new to the board. It happens on both sides of the aisle. Neither side is immune.

chrpai once bubbled...
Ok here is a new one.

Frequently an outsider to DIR will criticize DIR. The result is flaming that the person doesn't know anything about DIR, their position is indefensible, and to go away until they have a real complaint.

So howabout we hear from the DIR side what they think could be improved or different in their DIR system. Non DIR people should remain silent as to avoid wars and listen to ideas for improvement from the DIR camp.

chrpai once bubbled...
Non DIR people should remain silent as to avoid wars and listen to ideas for improvement from the DIR camp.

I think this thread should be about how to properly pose aq question....

And, I'm not sure it is appropriate for you to disallow folks from responding, but I'm not a regulator...

But I'm also not classified DIR, so I guess I didn't go with your "suggestion". :)

I do like some of the DIR equipment and techniques....

The question was worded this way for a reason so if you dont like it, dont reply. For those who think its unfair, I really don't care. I just think there are already enough DIR Rules / I hate DIR threads out there.

I want to hear from the DIR side of the aisle what they think could be better without all the bickering that always happens.

So far the closest thing I've heard (paraphrasing) is that the message could be clearer. ( IE its not about the gear.) but that is as much as an audience problem as a presentation problem. ( Since it does take 2 to communicate.)

Then of course there is our wonderful regulator Spectre who thinks its just perfect the way it is.

So I'm still waiting to hear from a DIR advocate what they think could be improved without all the chatter from the otherside please.

chrpai once bubbled...
The question was worded this way for a reason so if you dont like it, dont reply. For those who think its unfair, I really don't care. I just think there are already enough DIR Rules / I hate DIR threads out there.

I want to hear from the DIR side of the aisle what they think could be better without all the bickering that always happens.

So far the closest thing I've heard (paraphrasing) is that the message could be clearer. ( IE its not about the gear.) but that is as much as an audience problem as a presentation problem. ( Since it does take 2 to communicate.)

Then of course there is our wonderful regulator Spectre who thinks its just perfect the way it is.

So I'm still waiting to hear from a DIR advocate what they think could be improved without all the chatter from the otherside please.

It's perfect. Flawless. Impeccable. Unstoppable. Incredible. Amazing.

You feel better now?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom