Whats wrong with DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled... That's funny. You have no idea. LOL. I've discussed DIR sidemount with MHK in an old thread and I think a couple pm's a while ago. They do very little sidemount and very little in side mount systems.
That _is_ odd. You have already insisted that DIR called for double 104s and backmounted tanks. That's in this thread.

Now I'm confused.
MikeFerrara once bubbled... I'm not confusing anything with anything.
See above.

We are apparently speaking different languages. I am not familiar with yours.

Thanks for the exchange.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
This is getting funny.

Getting? I know it's poor net etiquette to correct someone's grammer, but you're using the the wrong verb tense.

Genesis, Chris et. al PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE hear this for the umptenth time, WE DON'T CARE HOW YOU DIVE, our intention in discussions is to offer how we dive to those that are interested.. If you aren't those that are interested then the advise is inapplicable, it's that simple.. Any other effort on your part is, in my mind, an attempt to pull yourself into a discussion that, by your own admission, doesn NOT apply to you, so the real question is why do you continue to do it???

Yes you do care Kane.

You have here, and elsewhere, along with the other DIR "proponents", made the claim that DIR is safer, more comfortable, would lead to greater retention in the sport, and a whole host of other arguments that are tantamount to "its objectively better to be DIR." In other forums you have done the "grave dance", strongly implying that if a deceased diver had jsut dived DIR, they would not be fishfood - an assertion that, when communicated, can be construed to constitute political advocacy that perhaps - just perhaps - some "regulation" might be needed.

None of those claims are backed up by the evidence you present, nor from that which can be found in the public record.

ZERO.

You have been repeatedly called on this and challenged to present your evidence, both here and elsewhere. In every case you have run away from that challenge, claiming that you won't discuss things with someone who doesn't have an "open mind" - effectively, if someone doesn't agree with you then you simply don't want to have the debate.

Its very easy to "win" a debate when there is only one point of view to be heard.

Genesis once bubbled...
GUE offers me nothing that I want and am unable to get elsewhere

<snip>

So why the extra four paragraphs? Why not stop here? :rolleyes:

Genesis once bubbled...

Statistics say you're wrong - at least half of all divers admit to solo diving at least part of the time, and even more admit to "SOB" diving (Same-ocean buddies). In fact, the majority of "buddy teams" are SOB divers, and very few divers see ANYTHING wrong with that.

Perhaps that's because they don't really understand what buddy diving means. I believe a lot of them think what they're doing is buddy diving. After all, they jump off the boat together, and they swim in the same general area, and they turn the dive together most of the time.

John F

there IS more to it.

If three agencies offer something that I want, then I will choose based on other features and functions of those agencies.

I am not "forced" to take the GUE way. At least not yet.

It is, however, vitally important to me that GUE and its sockpuppets not manage to force their way to be the only choice available.

Genesis once bubbled...
I am not "forced" to take the GUE way. At least not yet.

It is, however, vitally important to me that GUE and its sockpuppets not manage to force their way to be the only choice available.

Karl... get a grip... seriously.

I know it's poor net etiquette to correct someone's grammer

How about spelling? Grammer?

BTW, Genesis used a double negative.

Genesis once bubbled... It is, however, vitally important to me that GUE and its sockpuppets not manage to force their way to be the only choice available.
I'm a little late to this part of the thread.

I haven't seen anything anywhere indicating that GUE can apply force to anyone outside of threatening to deny or remove instructor credentials.

That doesn't apply to me and I would imagine it doesn't apply to more than ten or so people on this board.

Perhaps that's because they don't really understand what buddy diving means. I believe a lot of them think what they're doing is buddy diving. After all, they jump off the boat together, and they swim in the same general area, and they turn the dive together most of the time.

... my point.

See, the claim was originally in that sub-part of this thread that the DIR "unified dive team" was the "right way", and that other choices were not considered acceptable by most divers.

That claim is patently false. Most divers - in fact, nearly ALL divers - are perfectly happy with something between solo diving and "loose buddies" who go into the water together, swim in the same general area, and turn the dive together most of the time.

Ask any UW photographer whether they can effectively dive "DIR-style". Bawhahahahaa. Ditto for spearfishers.

Most divers would bristle at the idea that they MUST remain within the DIR definition of "buddy" to dive safely, and almost NO divers actually do so in practice.

Not even most of them who claim to be "DIR", in fact.

I saw a "DIR Diver" on a charter boat a week or so back while taking Rescue. He claimed to be "DIR", but was diving with a buddy who had a short hose and traditional setup. And he was apparently so wound-up in the "DIR thing", including having an 18w HID cannister light on a daytime OW dive (!), that he and his buddy managed to lose the upline on the reef and got a nice swim back to the boat for their trouble :wink: On his second dive of the day both he and his partner apparently went intentionally well into deco - on air - and were the last two back into the boat by a good margin as a consequence.

Was there something wrong with taking Nitrox in the tanks that day and avoiding the deco obligation? :wink: Heh, the rest of us found the upline too. Granted, it was a bit challenging in that some of the divers on the boat silted the daylights out of the reef - but if you've been on a charter before, you know that you aim FOR the silt cloud! :)

Nice enough guy, but I had to chuckle a bit.

He asked me if I was "DIR" when he saw my plate and wing as I commented that he had a very nice light with him. I said nope.... I dove a basic Hog-style rig and was happy with that. Cool enough.... but was he "DIR"? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom