What's your best Insect repellant?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but here goes. I'm headed to Roatan later in the year and understand they have mosquitoes and "noseeums" there. I can bring the industrial strength Off, but I'm not sure how successful the stuff will be. Have anyone found something that really works?

Widely regarded as the best insect repellent is DEET. (this is the active ingredient, not a brand name!)

Any bottle of stuff containing more than 50% DEET is going to be good stuff. As for particular brands I can't tell you what you will have locally. Just look at the ingredients. DEET is good as an active ingredient, anything else is bad.

Pinkladydi - Avon cream will be about as usefull as a Chocolate Teapot in keeping small biting insects away!

Jon T

Well if you are like me then make sure you pack 2-3 barrels of Napalm a flame thrower or two, medieval suit of armor and wear rings of garlic to ward of those Blood sucking vampires!

Actually, scratch all of that, I've tried them all and it doesn't work, they still syphon me dry!

"Try Vitamin XYZ", that didn't work for me, "Skin So Soft" just gave them a little extra fun trying to land on a slippery runway, "Off" didn't work 'cause I've found out they can't read, and dressing like an Eskimo didn't do it either, they just get longer needles!

I'm told "DEET" is supposed to work but over using it (its a topical application) I've read can cause some serious health problems (neurological I think). Maybe the doctors can shed some light on this...

=-)

Hi!
I have been to Roatan. And I am like the King. The bugs love me!
However, the DEET did work 100% for me.
Not a bite. Not even a nibble.
I bought the OFF that said something like "In the woods" with tons of DEET in it.
Just be sure you reapply it when you're getting off the boat and walking across the beach. Those little buggers love the sand and they'll get you when you come out.
By the way, the diving is wonderful in Roatan. Be sure to do the wall dives. My favorite!
:sunny:

Hi California_Diver,

Sand fleas or 'no see ums' can be a bother. There is great individual variability in both allergic reaction to bites and in how attractive one is to insects. If you are high on both indexes, your dive vacation can be a nightmare.

The bother of insects can be substantially reduced by these precautions: (1) Wear long sleeves and pants, avoiding bright colors, especially at dawn and dusk. Protective clothing such as the "Buzz Off" brand can be useful. As an extra precaution, you may treat clothing with permethrin; (2) Try to stay indoors at dawn and dusk when many flying insects are most active. When making reservations, make sure the resort has screened windows; (3) Wear insect repellent. Many report that Skintastic and Skin So Soft are effective against sand fleas, although the best protection against these and other insects is full strength DEET. Look for it at military surplus outlets and hunting and fishing supply stores; (4) Avoid scented toiletries and perfumes; (5) Upon arrival, treat your room with a bug bomb such as Shelltox or Fish. You can touch up with spray after that as needed.

Precautions such as these can go a long way toward insuring your comfort, although they of course don't guarantee that you will not get bitten. It is therefore wise to take along whatever medications which you have found safe & helpful in treating bites, such as Calamine lotion/cream, hydrocortisone lotion/cream or a nonsedating oral antihistamine.

Remember that if you don't get substantial resolution from self treatment, have a severe allergic reaction, or the eruptions seem to get progresively worse or infected, you should seek medical attention in a timely manner. (Fortunately, AKR has a pleasant & competent physician in residence.)

Different things seem to work for different people, but this should get you prepared to fend off those little pests.

Have a great trip.

DocVikingo

It's called Cactus Juice. Made from Texas prickley pear cactus and it works! http://www.cactusjuicetm.com/homeb.htm

I discovered it on our first trip to Roatan, being sold in the resort gift shop. Sheesh, had to go to Honduras to find a local product! It works extremely well on no-seeums and sand fleas as well as the mosquitos here at home.

Deep Woods Off worked OK but I hated the smell and the oil slick it produced. Cactus Juice is not greasy and smells like a Dreamcycle ice cream bar...creamy orange.

Anyway, check out their website to see all the products they offer. We started with a sampler pak and found all the products worked as promised.

I do a lot of hunting and fishing in the swamps of Florida. The mosquitos should be the state bird here. The best thing I've found is ,"Deep Woods OFF," It really works good for me. I prefer the unscented kind, especially when hunting. I've found that it will work for hours on end. No problems with mosquitos, sand gnats, no see ums, ticks, chiggers (red bugs)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom