What's your buddy technical failure tolerance level?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"A bad workman always blames his tools., comes to mind ,

solo , or find a better workman ,

I can understand an unforseen problem once in a while and for these occasions some loaned gear is a godsend. I've even been bailed out a few times myself. But I learn from these times and work to correct it by taking mental notes and addressing the problems. I never want to become "one of those guys".

On the same note, how does it become my responsibility to always have to bring extra gear for someone who is a chronic walking gear problem waiting to happen?
Same with lunches. I used to dive with a guy who would bring another guy (without me knowing about it before hand) and inevitably this other guy would show up hung over with no breakfast in him and he would bring nothing to eat during the day. Well common decency says that when you break out lunch and the other guy is looking at you starving it's pretty hard not to offer him part of your lunch. But where was his thinking?
We were going to be out there all day and the dude brings nothing, and he knew that.
So then he does one dive then sits up on the boat freezing his ass off because he has no calories in him and so our day gets cut short due to this guy.

I'm going to say for me it's three times. The first time it's completely forgiven, stuff happens. A second time, well maybe it was a freak. The third time that's it, see ya.

I always hate it if either of my buddies has an equipment failure cause I'm the guy that keeps it working.

I've learned to always be prepared to solo dive and equip and plan accordingly. If my buddy shows great we're going diving. If he doesn't too bad, he missed it. I'm going diving.

Same with me. I usually dive solo anyway, but stuff has happened with buddies. "I'm too cold to do the 2nd charter dive"-- so the DM let me go solo. I've been on boats where buddy problems meant I essentially went solo. Not crazy about that when it's below 30', but hey--sometimes I just keep an eye out as to where other divers are. Once a potential buddy drove maybe 4 hrs. to meet me in FL but decided not to dive due to bad viz in the 70' area. So I dived in bad viz solo in the 40' area. Just yesterday--3 of us--one guy had a blown o ring starting out. Due to time constraints two of us did the dive. You have to have a backup plan in case of technical or other problems. Especially with the price of gas in Canada. So, I don't get pissed off.

Sometimes all it takes is to be very blunt with the diver and talk it out.

Awhile back, a diver that was diving within my group frequently was a bit of a tosser. He was always unprepared, running late, missing gear, etc. etc. etc. Everyone was getting tired of this and was beginning to allienate the fellow. since i am the one who does not know when to keep my mouth shut and am notorious for being brutally honest with people, I was given the priviledge of talking to this young wipper snapper.

I very calmly and politely laid the facts on the table in front of him. He took my words to heart and an immediate change was seen.

The other option was going to be a baseball bat to the back of his head. He made a good choice in my opinion. :)

Two times for any reason.....1st time maybe, second time, your history !!.....

I'm pretty tolerant. I've had my fair share of equipment snafus, as has everyone I've ever dove with. Things happen even on gear that's perfectly maintained.

The trick is to have spare everything :)

I'm for the 3 strikes you're out crowd. It could happen to anybody, second time could be just bad luck. Third:outtahere: The closest dive site is 60 minute drive. I don't want to wast the hour drive and gas to sit out because someone else isn't prepared!

I agree with FinMom tho. We had a buddy in our group like this. Problem was she wasn't confident in her abilities but also wasn't honest with herself about it. She would have gear issues, have a fight with hubby and stomp off in a snit. She would offer to "babysit the newby" so she could stay in the shallow end and save face. Fortunately it was a group situation so there were others to dive with but it was still a royal PIA. If the person can't be honest with themselves about the real cause you can't help them. Better to find a good reliable safer option.

Um well yea um yasee If my dive buddies have issues like that then um er yasse -well most likely its all my fault.I dive with familly mostly and I take care of the gear.
otherwise the people are in rental gear anyways and problems are the dive op not the customer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom