What's your favourite St. Lawrence Wreck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So far, my favourite is the "Davie". Seeing the bow emerge from the darkness below on my first wreck dive was amazing! Hope to take the whole family there some time, we'll likely start with the "Wolfe Islander" to warm up though. :D

barb once bubbled...
Taz,
I don't know this wreck - Mason.
Can you access it from shore or is it a boat dive?
I like the sound of a really fast drift!!
I'm really anxious for spring to come so I can check this out!!

Barb, "The Mason" is a barge and it is located to the south west of Mc Nair Island east of Brockville. Approx 600m fom the Gaskin but on the south side of the channel. You drift between McNair and it's sister island over the wreck. This would be a boat dive, no idea if/when it will be marked as of yet, the site was only made public a month ago.

Cheers.

barb once bubbled...
Taz,
I don't know this wreck - Mason.
Can you access it from shore or is it a boat dive?
I like the sound of a really fast drift!!
I'm really anxious for spring to come so I can check this out!!

If you like a fast drift dive you should try the upper Niagara River. The entry for the fastest part is upstream from the Peace Bridge.. Someone mentioned 10-12 knots :) I haven't done this one myself.. But I heard it faboulous.. Right after the Peace bridge is Thompson's hole.. the river deepens to 65 feet...and the current slack off a little (but not much). I've done this one as a night dive.. Its like riding a roller coaster in the dark. :) Bring a compas because there are back eddies that take you back upstream.. Its fun.. At least with a compass you can tell if you are going in the right direction. Wooohooo

bottom_sucker once bubbled...
So far, my favourite is the "Davie". Seeing the bow emerge from the darkness below on my first wreck dive was amazing! Hope to take the whole family there some time, we'll likely start with the "Wolfe Islander" to warm up though. :D

I really like the Wolf Islander.. Its the longest dive in my logbook. 57 minutes.. and I still had air left :) but I didn't want my computer to kick into deco mode.. LOL No matter how often I dive the WI I alwasy find something new to see.

Haven't seen many wrecks, but I really liked the Eastcliffe Hall.

Some info:

The wreck of the Eastcliffe Hall is located approximately 3/4 mile off Crysler Marina, in front of Upper Canada Village, and is only accessible by boat.
This 3335 ton and 343 ft steel freighter lies upright in approximately 70 ft depth. The deck is at about 40 ft depth and remains spectacular. The cargo holds offer protection from the current and are an easy penetration around the 50 ft mark.
At 4 a.m. on July 14th, 1970, with a cargo of "pig iron", the Eastcliffe Hall struck a shoal and sank within minutes with 9 loss and 12 survivors recovered from the masts and hatch covers that
saved them. Life boats were not able to be lowered due to the list and quickness of the sinking vessel. Capt Albert Groulx and his 16 year old son were among the lost crew.

The forward superstructure (upstream) has been dynamited back into the forward hold to clear the site as a navigational hazard. Though the surface current is quick, it becomes less on the wreck deck and the open holds provide additional shielding from the current. Normally, visibility is good and with your visit to the holds you will see the pilothouse, masts, living quarters as well as iron ingots that remain from the original cargo.

To observe this wreck, we recommend a lamp because several parts are hidden from natural light. A strong current makes the descent a little difficult, but once on the site, it is comfortable. Precautions need to be taken because several metal pieces are lying around since the blasting.

The seaway being close, merchant ships and pleasure boats create heavy traffic near the wreck.

Like all the other wrecks in Ontario, the Eastcliff Hall is a property of the province, and it is strictly forbidden to remove any object.

One of the top ten dives in the St-Lawrence River.

I find it amazing that new wrecks are still being discovered. Especially if you consider that some of them are in heavily dived areas.. Some new stuff pop's up right in front of someone's doorstep. Pretty cool. Sidescan sonar's for everyone :)

I don't know if it qualifies as a st lawrence wreck, but my favourite has to be the "olive branch"
but the wolfe islander is right up there too!

sparky30 once bubbled...

If you like a fast drift dive you should try the upper Niagara River. The entry for the fastest part is upstream from the Peace Bridge.. Someone mentioned 10-12 knots :) I haven't done this one myself.. But I heard it faboulous.. Right after the Peace bridge is Thompson's hole.. the river deepens to 65 feet...and the current slack off a little (but not much). I've done this one as a night dive.. Its like riding a roller coaster in the dark. :) Bring a compas because there are back eddies that take you back upstream.. Its fun.. At least with a compass you can tell if you are going in the right direction. Wooohooo

Sparky...this dive is a great dive, did it 3 years ago when I use to live in St Kitts while working for the Grape and Wines Festival. When you get a chance you should go for it.

Cheers, Taz.

sparky30 once bubbled...

If you like a fast drift dive you should try the upper Niagara River. . Wooohooo

I failed Geography in school so please reassure me that this Niagara River ISN'T the same river that goes over the Falls?

If it is .. then that certainly would be a ripping current leading to a dark hole (it's called death)!!
:D

Taz,
Thanks for the info. on The Mason.
Hopefully it will be marked this spring.
Is it in decent condition? Is it very large?

Back
Top Bottom