When are you ready for cavern training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with AJ, too . . . just want to add that, if Doug Mudry's schedule doesn't work for you, you can also contact Meredith Tanguay, who is also a GUE instructor in the same area.

I've also been thinking about taking a Rescue Diver/Stress & Rescue course. Do you think this would be necessary in addition to the GUE Fundies, or will the Fundies cover it all?

I'm planning on continuing with AOW and Cavern training this Autumn, but I think these courses will make me a stronger and more confident diver.

Then take Fundies first.:wink:

I think Rescue is an excellent class, and I would highly recommend it. Although Fundamentals has some rescue skills in it, taking an entire class which is focused on both preventing accidents and the ramifications of managing one if it occurs is a good experience. Rescue will not really work on your own personal diving skills, except to make you practice some of them a little, but it will change your mindset. It is not a substitute for Fundamentals, but an excellent companion piece.

A real rescue course will offer more rescue stuff than Fundamentals. The trick is getting into a real rescue course. The same goon platoon that teaches AOL teaches rescue.

Something about a box of chocolates and not really knowing what you're gunna get.

Can you recommend a real rescue courses?

A real rescue course will offer more rescue stuff than Fundamentals. The trick is getting into a real rescue course. The same goon platoon that teaches AOL teaches rescue.

Something about a box of chocolates and not really knowing what you're gunna get.

So if she took the PADI AOW and Rescue Diver classes offered at Extreme Exposure, she would be taught by a Goon Platoon. If when she was finished she stayed with Extreme Exposure and took the GUE Fundamentals course there as well, then Extreme Exposure would bring out the real instructors for that course--is that how it works? It must be tough on the morale of the staff, with some of them being on the Goon Platoon and some of them being on the real instructional staff.

BTW, I believe GUE Fundamentals is an excellent course, and a diver will learn a lot from it. I would just like to remind people that other agencies have similar classes.

Can you recommend a real rescue courses?

It isn't as much the course as who is teaching it. If you want to be a cave diver and technical diver then take your courses from a instructor who teaches tech. You will find the course is far more rewarding because they will not only teach you what the guidelines says but will also show you how it relates to your goals.

Daru

P.s. I'm in Tampa and if you need a side buddy pm me.

AOW is a great class in theory, but unfortunately, a lot of people who teach it are from the goon platoon. You'll most likely drop some cash on it for a few supervised dives and walk away with nothing more than an empty wallet and a few filled in log book pages. Practicing OW skills without guidance might actually hinder you moving forward. Best course of action is to pony up for the fundies and reap the benefits of some quality dive training.

Considering this "goon platoon" business comes directly on the heels of the OP saying she'll probably take AOW with Marissa, the remark is pretty danged off-putting.

To the OP: I know Marissa fairly well. She is definitely no goon platoon material, she would never use that sort of remark about anyone, and if you are comfortable with her then you should give that serious consideration-- finding an instructor that you click with is very much to be valued, whatever agency anyone tries to convince you is best.

The DIR crowd on the board will naturally steer any topic about training to the subject of Fundamentals, this is understandable and to be expected. I'm sure there are excellent GUE instructors in the area. There are excellent instructors that teach through other agencies as well, don't be drawn in by generalizations of "everyone else" under a derogatory label.

So if she took the PADI AOW and Rescue Diver classes offered at Extreme Exposure, she would be taught by a Goon Platoon. If when she was finished she stayed with Extreme Exposure and took the GUE Fundamentals course there as well, then Extreme Exposure would bring out the real instructors for that course--is that how it works? It must be tough on the morale of the staff, with some of them being on the Goon Platoon and some of them being on the real instructional staff.

BTW, I believe GUE Fundamentals is an excellent course, and a diver will learn a lot from it. I would just like to remind people that other agencies have similar classes.

Uhh, no. I don't really care where OP gets her training. I don't care who teaches it. I DO care that she gets some quality instruction. SOME instructors suck, and Id rather her do her homework and select an excellent instructor.

---------- Post added September 8th, 2013 at 04:39 PM ----------

I don't know Marissa. She might be great, and I DO NOT IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM put her down. Lets get that clear. This is the kind of research a diver needs to do before signing up for a class.

If OP walks into a random dive shop and signs up for a rescue class, all bets are off. Do your homework, pick a good instructor, that is all. You're already on the right track.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom