When are you ready for cavern training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My only concern against a Fundies course at this point is that you might not be ready for it. AFAIK if you can't motionless hover without sculling, you'll be struggling the whole class and not really getting enough time learning new skills. The primer might be enough to get you introduced to the concepts and then you'll just have to put a lot of time in diving diving diving.

I dove for 5 years and then took 6 years off due to family medical issues. I did a GUE tweak dive last summer to get some pointers and mentoring and while I wasn't horrible I wasn't rock solid and I don't think I was really ready for the class. 16 months and 150 dives later and I finally have rock solid static trim. Other then a back kick that still needs improvement, I think I'm finally ready to take the class and get the most out of it.

I recommended to Karen she look into Primer... I agree with you that there are some cases that people would be better served to wait before Fundies. However, if someone has "rock solid static trim" and their biggest concern is a "back kick that still needs improvement" I would say they are more than ready for Fundies.

Kate, I just saw your status "is wondering what the stars mean". Haha, I've been wondering the same thing myself.
Does anybody have any idea?

And I heard back from Mer today about the primer course, hopefully we're able to work something out with our schedules.

---------- Post added September 15th, 2013 at 11:05 AM ----------

My only concern against a Fundies course at this point is that you might not be ready for it.

I agree completely. :)

I agree completely. :)

And I could be completely wrong since I don't know your personality or your diving history. If you are comfortable with the possibility of a three day humbling experience, a decent amount of money spent and having your homework cut out for you for a future date to prove yourself.... well, go for it.

That said, a tech instructor friend of mine recently went through a fundies and he told me that Bob Sherwood put his butt through the grinder and humbled him as well. So that part is probably inescapable.

My only concern against a Fundies course at this point is that you might not be ready for it. AFAIK if you can't motionless hover without sculling, you'll be struggling the whole class and not really getting enough time learning new skills. The primer might be enough to get you introduced to the concepts and then you'll just have to put a lot of time in diving diving diving.

I dove for 5 years and then took 6 years off due to family medical issues. I did a GUE tweak dive last summer to get some pointers and mentoring and while I wasn't horrible I wasn't rock solid and I don't think I was really ready for the class. 16 months and 150 dives later and I finally have rock solid static trim. Other then a back kick that still needs improvement, I think I'm finally ready to take the class and get the most out of it.

Fundies is not a test-- it's a class-- and a workshop would likely be a better word than even a class for it. Remember that the whole rec/tech pass thing only came up when people weren't mastering those skills before T1/C1, and people were showing up unready to take a higher level class, which makes it difficult to teach.

There's no shame in getting a rec pass, and you can always upgrade to a tech pass at any point down the road. I would actually say that getting a rec pass or provisional is better than a tech pass the first time around-- it means that you had a lot more to work on and likely got more for your $$$ than someone who paid for the class after tons of mentoring/practicing just to get a card.

I never said it was a "test". AFAIK you have to be in doubles to go for a tech pass and that's not me. I'd just want to go and learn as much as I could to become a better, safer diver and understand how to dive in the GUE team system.

I just spoke with an old friend (and advanced cave diver) who reminded me to make sure I was having fun diving... and not just stressing myself about taking more courses and buying more equipment. He gently reminded me that the whole point of diving is to have fun, and if you're not then what's the point?

As stupid as it might sound, I needed to hear that. I have a habit of pushing myself madly toward a goal that I set for myself, and forgetting the 'having fun' part.

:)

It's easy to do. I see that with some of our folks who go through Fundies, and then do nothing but drill. It's important to remember that the skills are there to making the diving you want to do easier and more fun. Although it is sometimes fun just to practice, they are not ends in themselves.

I love you too Bentley! :) When are you coming to dive again?

Not soon enough! I'm not sure, but I think I'm sure thinking about coming down between Christmas & New Years again...it's been a real weird business cycle this last 17months, I haven't been able to predict anything.
I had 3 machines to move out of Ocala in July, but I broke down & had to broker them out. That sucked! One of the guys I sent down waited 5 days for permits, that was the one I was supposed to haul! I'm still bummed about that one.
Dive safe & say hi to everybody for me...

Not soon enough! I'm not sure, but I think I'm sure thinking about coming down between Christmas & New Years again...it's been a real weird business cycle this last 17months, I haven't been able to predict anything.
I had 3 machines to move out of Ocala in July, but I broke down & had to broker them out. That sucked! One of the guys I sent down waited 5 days for permits, that was the one I was supposed to haul! I'm still bummed about that one.
Dive safe & say hi to everybody for me...

That does suck. Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully things are better now. On the bright side, when you finally are able to come down here, most of the caves should be open. :) Take care and safe travels.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom