When do manifold O-rings need to be replaced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaMaDo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I broke down my doubles to get them VIPed and was wondering if I should replace the 2 pairs of barrel O-rings or just clean them and relube with tribolube.

What should I use to clean the isolator threads/O-rings? Just soap/water?

If I should replace the O-rings are they the "1/2 OD for High-Pressure Port/Hose (7/16 UNF) Manifold and Manifold Port Plugs" sold here?

If I don't need to replace them now, when should I replace them?

Also, how often should the entire manifold be rebuilt with a full kit?

I replace all o-rings every year, they cheap, and takes 5 seconds to replace. I also oxygen clean my manifold every year too. However, I only replace the seat, crush washer, and plastic washer when they need to be replaced. My oldest tank is 10 years old, and the seat looks new still, just a slight impression from the valve.

It's a general rule to have your values and manifolds serviced every time you get a hydro. In Australia that is done every year, so we do it every time our hire and school cylinders need a service. However, many people don't bother to get their values services until they can't turn the spindal

I service the manifolds when I hydro the cylinders. I inspect all parts, replacing what needs replacing. If the seats look good, I re-use them. If the o-rings are soft and supple, I reuse them. I don't bother O2 cleaning everything because doubles (mine anyway) don't ever see elevated PPO2, just the opposite, actually. I do ultrasonically clean everything while it's apart.

Thanks for the responses.

I decided to change the o-rings on the manifold. Wish they didn't charge $1.50 for each one...but I didn't have any 012.

I will definitely have my own set next VIP.

I would not simply replace them every year. You might be replacing them with o-rings that are actually older than the ones on there. They're static o-rings, and they are crucial, so what I would do is if the manifold is fairly new and the o-rings look good, lube 'em and leave 'em. Or, you could (if you're really anal) switch them around so that the back-up ring is taking the pressure. If you do replace them, make sure you get good quality o-rings. I'd use duro 80 or 90 EPDM or viton o-rings bought from a place that sells a lot of them. You probably don't want nitrile o-rings that have an unknown durometer or age. This is all assuming you're using the doubles in an overhead environment where a manifold failure would be very serious.

It is a good question, that what type of maintenance really does lower the risk of a manifold failure....since that risk is very low with back up rings, but it is potentially serious, it's worth considering. I don't believe that simply replacing all o-rings every year is likely to lower the risk as opposed to using known good quality o-rings and letting them stay put for a few years.

Thanks halo,

I hadn't thought of older ones being put in there. The manifold's only a year old...that is if halcyon doesn't keep old inventory.

Now that's got me thinking... I guess I have no idea if the ones that were put on are older or not especially since the LDS I went to doesn't work on manifolds that often.

I'll order a new set of O-rings next week and replace them after next weekend just in case.

Would these be ok as replacements?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom